DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Schemas

Any suggestions for setting up a testing environment on a development box and production box. I know its not recommended on production but my CTO wants a way to isolate testing on production. I was thinking maybe having a test_user which used private synonyms so that only the test_user could see the objects and test data.

I would say yes and yes to both i.e
    it is not recommended to test on prod but if that is what they want then direct them to schema which does not interfere with prod data.we have set up 'tutorial user' on prod for new users to learn the application and is working fine.

How about setting up another instance on the production box. If you are trying to test on the production hardware, this just might be your answer...
    Jeff Hunter

Hi Marist89

do you mean parallel server? I'm relatively new to Oracle and truth be told parallel server seems complicated. Additionally, we have the standard not enterprise edition, sometimes options aren't included in standard.

No, I don't mean parallel server.

You can have more than one instance on any one machine provided you have the appropriate resources. For example, you your example, you already have an instance called "PROD". You would create an instance, maybe "TEST" that would reside on the same machine, but have different datafiles, init.ora files, control files, etc.

The instance is designated by the $ORACLE_SID in your environment and in the db_name in your init.ora file. Check out [url]http://osi.oracle.com/wa/ask/owa/ask_tom_pkg.display?p_dispid=635223751317[/url]

[Edited by marist89 on 12-18-2000 at 05:12 PM]
    Jeff Hunter

Hi Marist89,

I'm confused - here's a quote from my DBA Handbook "A database instance (also known as a server) is a set of memory structures and background processes that access a set of db files. It is possible for a single database to be accessed by multiple instances (this is the Oracle Parallel Server option)." Regardless of whether or not its the Parallel Server option - how would this work on a production box - would you have to bounce the database? Thanks for your input and the link.

It would be a whole different database. The two instances would not share any resources, they would be completely distinct entities.

On a production box, you would have one group of processes and memory structures named "PROD". The "PROD" database would have it's own lgwr, dbwr, smon, pmon, ckpt, etc processes. The "TEST" database would also have its own set of lgwr, dbwr, smon, pmon, ckpt, etc. processes. The two databases would be totally independent of each other.
    Jeff Hunter