DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: backup tablespaces

8.1.6.0.0,nt 4.0

We are running hot backups .what happens if we do not backup contents of all the tablespaces i.e we do not run following for, let us say, 2 out of 7 ts:
    alter ts ts_1 begin backup
    copy df using host command
    alter ts ts_1 end backup;

how will it affect the recovery when it becomes necessary?

Not sure but if you have all archived logs there is always a posibility to recover a database.
    Although who would do partial backups...?

That's one of those things where depending on the activity of those datafiles it might work, and it might not work. The better solution is to fix the backup script for good.
    Jeff Hunter

well looks like cannot escape the obvious.
    I was trying to avoid backing up ts like tools etc which for the time being are not being used much.also there are some ts which contain large lookup tables which get replaced each night thru sql loader.

but I guess there is no shortcut to peacefull nights.

thanks

If u are using 8i , did you try doing transportable tablespaces. However, this works if you have carefully selected tables going to each TS, which you may want to backup and TS which you dont need to back up. That might be helpful
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

If you have a large disk space where you keep the archived log files since the last hot back up of a tablespace was taken, you can very well go for partial Tablespaces hot back up. Note that you must have one backup of all tablespaces if you want to perform full recovery of the database.

thanks everyone.

rt now I have no clue on transportable tablespaces but will be xploring .but yes ,We have pretty clearly marked up tables which can be reconstructed and loaded using scripts anytime and hence need not be backed up every night and those that must be.

[Edited by BRAUK on 12-18-2000 at 03:32 PM]