DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: TNS Names

I want to add an SQL server to my TNSNames.ora file
    Does anyone know how to configure my Oracle TNSNames.ora file to look at an SQL Server?

Do I set it up the same way as for an Oracle server?

Thanks in advance
    DBAWannaB

You simply cannot do it, TNSNAMES uses Oracle NET 8 technology, a architecture that SQL Server cant understand unless you use Oracle Transparent Gateway for SQL Server.

If things were so simple... :o

Pando,
    Is this absolutely the only way? Where do I get the Oracle SQL Gateway software from? Is this something that I need to purchase extra?
    DBAWannaB

By the way, what are you trying to do... accessiong to SQL Server with SQL PLUS or any other Oracle Software???
    And yes I would say it´s the only way however I think the gateway can only be used between an Oracle DB and SQL Server DB and not from an Oracle client to a SQL Server DB. You have to buy it, you can check technet for more information about Transparent Gateway.

Pando,
    What I'm trying to do is replicate data from an Oracle DB Server to an SQL db server. I am trying to do snapshot replication from Oracle to update/insert data into tables on an SQL box.

I am running SQL plus on both boxes however the Oracle server is a remote server so I have telnet access as well as I can connect to it from the SQL Plus on my local machine.
    DBAWannaB

I think you are looking for the gateway, the way it works is it will setup a database link between SQL Server and Oracle, then Oracle will treat that SQL Server as another Oracle Server. Although I am not sure if you could use snapshots. May be you should contact Oracle about gateway´s functinality.

Replication

I'm trying to replicate from Oracle to Sybase and vice-versa.
    I tried to search for Transparent Gateway on technet and other websites for it, but couldn't find any details.
    If anyone can send any links that would really help.
    Thanks.

I found gateway information here

[url]http://technet.oracle.com/doc/gateways/tg4mssql4/ch4.htm[/url]

Of course you know you wont be able to get to this unless you are a registered user in technet.

I did a search on Transparent Gateways and you can choose from solaris, nt, and sql and some others.

Does anyone have the 32 bit driver Drv25317 that can be emailed to me. My download connection keeps timing out?
    DBAWannaB