DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 9i to 10g migration using exp/imp !!

9i to 10g migration using exp/imp !!

Is there a easy way to import the full database without messing up the sys/system schema ? I can export all the scema users and the non schema users except for all system users and then do a full import to 10G. This way I will not have to create all the DB users with proper privileges.

Just wondering if there is any other better way. This is asmall db and I don't want to do the 9i - 10G upgrade

why do you think the SYS schema will be imported?
    Jeff Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by marist89
    why do you think the SYS schema will be imported?

I have had issues when some system and sys objects have got messed up. One would think that it is smart enough not to import sys and system objects...

Have you personaly done a full import for a production DB and everything was fine after that ??

I don't use exp/imp for db migrations. If I need to copy a whole db, I just clone it, and upgrade the clone.
    Jeff Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by marist89
    I don't use exp/imp for db migrations. If I need to copy a whole db, I just clone it, and upgrade the clone.

Me too...
    Now I am migrating a Unix db to NT and I am exploring the possibility of exp/imp which I think is the easiest way. SO let's see if anyone has done this using exp/imp and how ?

No where did you mention that you were changing platforms. In that case, I'd setup my db, create the users & roles, assign system privs and roles, create public objects, and import on a schema by schema basis.

I'm not a big fan of imp. Even less of a fan of imp full=y.
    Jeff Hunter

Since oracle full database exp/imp don't exp/imp sys objects and any grants related with sys objects. So some objects may be invalid after import. just get these missinh grants from source and add it to target manualy.