DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Can I use backup/restore to move 10.2.0 database from One OS to another OS

Can I use backup/restore to move 10.2.0 database from One OS to another OS

Both OS is Big Endian, so there is no conversion. I know I can use transportable tablespace to export/import tablespace definition then, copy data file from one machine to another. But so far I have not see any documentation on If I can just backup/restore (rman backup or just OS bacup) database from one macchine to another without using transportable tablespace. Any one tried this method.

Thanks

Cool

Yes, all you need is to read the RMAN manual and follow the instructions.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA

Yes, all you need is to read the RMAN manual and follow the instructions.
    I don't believe that it tells you in the 9iR2 RMAN manual that it is possible to restore a database to host that is running a different OS to the one where the database was originally backed up. If it does then 10g cross-platform transportable tablespaces are somewhat over-hyped.

Cool

Sorry, I was refering only to RMAN, not exp/imp.

The Oracle version should be the same on both servers.

To use transportable tablespaces, you would need to have an Oracle instance already created on the target server.

To use RMAN restore to new server, the same also (or at least the Oracle software installed if restoring whole database).

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

The Oracle version should be the same on both servers.
    This isn't about Oracle versions so far as I can tell. I think the confusion may arise from the acronym OS. I assume that the OP means "Operating System"; I suspect you are interpreting it as "Oracle Server".

So far as I know it is not possible to restore an Oracle database from one operating system to a different one. On the other hand 10g cross-platform transportable tablespaces do allow this kind of migration where supported (although this has nothing to do with RMAN).

As a point of interest, Oracle do seem to support RMAN across Oracle versions where major version is the same and source minor version is < target minor version. I recently needed to clone a 9.2.0.6.0 database to 9.2.0.7.0 server install and contacted Oracle support. I was told this was fine (providing I ran catpatch after the clone of course). I suspect that tthe same would apply to disaster recovery as well. Anyone care to comment?

OS here means operation system. For example move oracle database 10.2.0 from Sun Solaris 9 to AIX 5.3, database still same version. So far oracle documatation only support cross-platform data file for transportable tablespace data file.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz2000
    OS here means operation system. For example move oracle database 10.2.0 from Sun Solaris 9 to AIX 5.3, database still same version. So far oracle documatation only support cross-platform data file for transportable tablespace data file.
    If it works the way you think it should, then create a small test database and migrate it. You will have nothing to lose.