DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Character Set Woes...

Character Set Woes...

Hello all,

I have a very weird situation which i would appreciate any help I could get.

I was called in to support an oracle client to solve a problem they were facing, here is a brief description.

Due to a misconfigured client, they managed to have a AR8ISO8859P6 character set database hold a table with AR8MSWIN1256 character set!!

The problem is that I couldnt find a way to convert the table since oracle considers it to be AR8ISO although in fact it is AR8MSWIN.

The only solution i found on the net was to hex edit the dump file, which only partially worked since I do not have the exact locations of the character set markers found in the dump file (there is more than one for sure).

Does anyone know of a way around this??

Regards,
    Khalid

Quote Originally Posted by aburosea
    Due to a misconfigured client, they managed to have a AR8ISO8859P6 character set database hold a table with AR8MSWIN1256 character set!!

Does anyone know of a way around this??

Regards,
    Khalid
    1. you can try by creating a testdb with AR8MSWIN1256 character set and export the table and do the import in testdb(not sure about this as the exp will try to convert to AR8ISO8859P6 and then export the table - jus give a try) . Also you can check the super set for AR8MSWIN1256 by which you can view the table contents on that db.
    2. upload the table contents to a flat file and load the table contents back to the new table with db as AR8MSWIN1256 character set. If the table has weird characters then i am not sure how this works.
    3. Check Metalink
    4. Log Oracle SR.
    "What is past is PROLOGUE"

Cool

Oracle export/mport will use the value of NLS_LANG environment variable to translate between charactersets.

You could try "playing" with different characterset settings for this variable -- exporting the table with one setting and importing with different setting into a clone table in another schema for comparison.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Try csscan

Are you sure your data is pure AR8MSWIN1256 data? You
    can use csscan utility to scan your data first.
    Then call Oracle support about csconv utility for character set
    conversion.
    You might want to check the usage about
    'alter database character set ....' in restricted mode.