DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Move database to new ORACLE_HOME

Move database to new ORACLE_HOME

DB = 9.2.0.7
    OS = Solaris 8

Its been a while, so I thoguht i'd keep you all busy wth another one of my stoopid questions:

I have a test machine that rather annoyingly doesn't mirror our production environment in that in test there are two Oracle databases under a single $ORACLE_HOME rather than in their own homes. I'd like to create a home and move one of the databases into it... Something like this, I was thinking:

- Install new Oracle Home

- run any applicable patchset scripts on the new home

- shutdown the database that needs to move homes

- alter the oratab and listener.ora files in /var/opt/oracle to point to the new home.

- set the environment to point to the new home (.oraenv)

- startup the database

However, one of my other team memebers pointed me in the direction of Metalink note 28433.1, which although talking about older versions of Oracle (not 9.2), seems to suggest it isn't as simple as that...

Anyone got any idea whether i'm on the path to glory, or on the path to the Job Centre?
    Assistance is Futile...

err why you want a database per home - seems like a waste of space?

but your method is sound

You are probably right (I can't think of a great reason why we'd want to do that either), but i'm only really looking to do this to get our testing environment to mirror production.

Thanks for the re-assurance RE: my method.
    Assistance is Futile...

Quote Originally Posted by waitecj
    You are probably right (I can't think of a great reason why we'd want to do that either), but i'm only really looking to do this to get our testing environment to mirror production.

Thanks for the re-assurance RE: my method.
    As Davey says, your method is fine. Its very straightforward. One reason you may have this set up is in case you need to upgrade the databases to different releases at different times.

Bazza

Very true Bazza... And having thought about it, its because we use different Oracle technologies with one and not the other (RAC and stuff like that), so a critical patch update might be applicable to one and not the other...
    Assistance is Futile...