DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cost of rman

cost of rman

hi,
    could anyone give me a rough idea of the cost of an Rman licence - we are running Enterprise edition of 9i.
    We would be using it to back up 3 databases on 2 servers.
    Guess I also need the rman agent?

cheers

RMAN is part of the product. Do you actually mean RMAN licences, or licences for enterprise tape management tools for RMAN to hook into?

Cheers

Tim...
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

I meant the licence fees - we intend to do rman backups to disk then let veritas image copy the files etc, so it does not need to know that they came from rman - We could incorporate rman into the veritas backup and have it hive it off to tape straight away, but feel disk copy is faster and easier to manage from my point of view.

We have been told that rman would cost us upwards of £50,000 - is that not true then?

Hi

To oracle you need not pay anything.

Since you are dumping rman copies as ordinary files then you need not buy any liscense from veritas for rman .

so to sum up you need not pay any liscence fees to oracle or veritas.

Howver if you wnat to integrate rman with veritas then there is rman agent from veritas for which you need to pay $$

regards
    Hrishy
    Last edited by hrishy; 02-13-2006 at 04:49 AM.

We were thinking of disk copying the files, so no cost then?
    You don't happen to know if Veritas insist on rman do you - if not then we could just do ordinary cold backups anyway (db not that big - 20gig or so).
    Old dba mentioned that veritas were not going to support us unless we used rman - but that may have been using their routines to take it straight to tape using their agent etc. ... we currently use thir oracle agent and do hot backups - but we can quite happily shut doen at night so culd do cold ones instead and not use veritas to perfiorm the database backups, just copy over the files produced from it instead? - does this sound like a reasonable approach to you?

Hi

If you are disk copying the files yes no liscence required.

Well your approach sounds good to me.

If you can afford a shutdown yep then shutdown the database and copy the files to disk and then takes these copied files over to veritas on to the tape.

I am not sure what your dba is trying to say.

But you can also take a RMAN hot backup to the disk and then from the disk copy it over to tape using veritas.You dont have to pay liscence fees in thsi case too since you are not integrating rman and veritas.But teh catch is if you wnat to restore then you shoudl first restore it to the place through veritas where rman had backed it up.

Bottomline if you dont integrate ramn with veritas agent you dont need to pay liscence fees.

regards
    Hrishy

no dont do cold backups, bad idea.

Just do a rman backup to disk and then a normal filesystem backup excluding the database filesystems

yep, so copy the files produced from rman, but exclude the datafiles/logfiles/control file etc from the veritas folders (we had problems before when we were backing those up and the control file was locked and terminating the instance)
    p.s. Why do you say cold backup is a bad idea?

because you lose you library cache, all your sql history will be wiped causing a bunch of hard parsing when users try to use it in the morning.

You will also lose you buffer cache causing a lot of PIO's to be done

you will make the database slower for a while, and you never know it might not come up either

Have to be a bit careful about saying, "Don't do cold backups!"

[devils advocate]
    It really depends on what type of system you run. I always work on OLTP systems, so using archiving and hot backups is the best option, but that may not be the case in warehousing situations.

There was a thread on the dizwell forum some time ago, where a number of waerhousing guys said they run in noarchivelog mode and do cold backups after dataloads once a week. In that scenario, running in archivelog mode and doing hot backups may not be all it's cracked up to be...
    [/devils advocate]

Cheers

Tim...
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog