DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 10g installation on IBM-AIX throws error

Oracle 10g installation on IBM-AIX throws error

hi all,
    I m installing oracle 10g on IBM AIX 5.3,I ve checked for all the pre-requisites and during pre-requisite check during installation is also success.But at the mid stage it prompts an error message when trying to create database and says ORA_01031 Insuffucuent previlege.I also tried installing the Oracle software alone.Its gets installed succesfully and when trying to create database using DBCA throws the same error message.Plz help me out in this????

thanks,
    Mudassir Ahmed

in your AIX you should have $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin create file under that and not under ORA_HOME\network\network\admin as the link says
    Rgds
    Parag

hi,
    I ve tried out the fix provided by you before itself,but doesnt work.I m getting this error when creating the database for first time.Its an new IBM-AIX 5.3 blade server.When database is getting created via DBCA its throws the error message- ORA_01031 Insuffucient previliege and when ignoring it it throws ORA-01034 Oracle not available.
    Help me out on this

from your dbca sessions log can you paste exact error. also make sure your using same user to run dbca with which you installed software.

Also paste o/p of "id" command from which user you are invocking dbca.
    Rgds
    Parag

there can be any problem because of which this error is coming..
    You paste 5-10 lines above and below of error message. Also paste if you see any errors in alert log. If you are on 10gR1.
    check Doc ID: 361205.1 ,Doc ID: 388554.1 on metalink..
    Rgds
    Parag

this is the error listed in the Log.
    I ve already tried out the options provided in the link you gave but didnt work out.

ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
    select TO_CHAR(systimestamp,'YYYYMMDD HH:MI:SS') from dual
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

ORA-01034 means either your database is not started or your ORACLE_SID is pointing to a non-existing or non-started instance.

Your original post suggest you had an installation error, if that was the case please post your installation errors and focus in solving the installation isssue.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.