DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Processes/NPROC

The worry Tamil is that these connections spawn these remote connections which dont get cleanedup in the unix environment. the kernel parm NPROC is set to 7200 and we had an issue where we had 7200 processes in Unix and the system came down to a halt...

We have 8 middletier applications each maching 40 connections minimum with no threshold so thats 40*8=320 Oracle connections. I have seen that to upto 600 connections. for each connection there is a shadow process. so going back to my original question, if your processes parameter is set to 1500 that means you can only have upto 1500 remote processes right? Can there ever be more then 1500 remote processes in the OS
    "High Salaries = Happiness = Project Success."

if your processes parameter is set to 1500 that means you can only have upto 1500 remote processes right? Can there ever be more then 1500 remote processes in the OS
    You can have max 1500 oracle processes per instance in the DB server.
    How ever, 2 instances are running, then you will see 3000 oracle processes.

Tamil

well from my 73 posts at least I have not spent 550 out of 578 asking people like you, i.e I dont abuse the forum for my own benefits. And therefore I dont claim myself a "SENIOR" dba asking such newbie questions

why I say you are cluless?

1. LOCAL=NO is a shadow proces? Please give me a break, even the two junior dba I hired last year know what are they.
    2. Asking if you can see 1500 processes when you have process=1500 configured in the instance. How about go and read some docs before such questions?
    3. Asking if Oracle can spawn more than 1500 when you explicitly configured 1500 at instance level, laff
    4. Setting SQLNET.EXPIRE. Have you ever thought if you have dead connections at first? Do you know what the consequences this parameter can do? Do you know how does it work at all? From an architecture view in fact you should NOT use sqlnet.expire since this is a three tier application and there are connection pools involved.

Now you know why you are clueless?

And please get rid of this junk from your profile, you simply dont deserve it

"Senior Oracle DBA"

I have no bone to pick with you.... I can make claims/statements like you can make myself look like a big shot too but I am not going to abuse this forum..

I can say more to you but I have better things to do then to waste my time arguing with you. This statement doesnt know any weekness from me but it shows that I dont want to make a mockery out of this forum.

I have nothing to prove to you. This will be my last response to you.

goodbye..
    Last edited by jlakhani; 01-25-2006 at 03:40 PM.
    "High Salaries = Happiness = Project Success."