DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Processes/NPROC

Question Question about Processes/NPROC

I am just wondering. What is the relationshipship between NPROC and the Processes parameter? If the Processes Parameter in oracle 9i database on an HPUX is set to 1500 and the NPROC is set to 7200 can Oracle spawn/fork processes beyond 1500?

Our beefy server stopped responding because i was nto able to spawn any more processes..we had to do a hard reboot.
    "High Salaries = Happiness = Project Success."

NPROC is the kernel parameter controlling maximum number of simultaneous processes for all "users". This should be 3 times the value of SEMMNS.

What is the value of MAXUP?
    If the Processes Parameter in oracle 9i database on an HPUX is set to 1500 and the NPROC is set to 7200 can Oracle spawn/fork processes beyond 1500?
    No. Oracle can fork max of 1500 processes only.

Tamil

Thanks Tamil,

the LOCAL=NO processes in Unix are shadow processes right? Since the Processes parameter in INIT.ORA is set to 1500 is there evern instance you can think off you might see over 1500 spawned shadow (LOCAL=NO) processes in Unix? I have implimented SQLNET.EXPIRE to cleanup dead connections?

whats local=no got to do with processes? they are just people connecting remotely

Leave him, this guy is just clueless

Guru_heaven...i don't appreciate your words..It seems you dont have the professionalism required to work by an IT person. If you don't have any thing "INTELLIGENT" to say/add then please refrain from making any such statements. I can make similar statements to your previos posts as well but i dont want to lower my "standards" and bar myself from this site for arguing with a "JUNIOR" member I looked thru your posts and I dont see you adding any value to anyone's posts. Thats why you only have 73 posts..

I see tamilselvan and davey23uk working really hard trying to help me get a better understanding about my current issue.

Be well.

How many instances are you running in the server?
    The number processes controlled within ORACLE is PROCESSES parameter in init.ora in each instance.

As I said earlier UNIX OS has its own limitations (NPROC, SEMMNS, and MAXUP).

Tamil

Tamil, we are running two instances on this server. based on Oracle 9i kernel parm recommendations, the kernel parms are tuned optimally. What we are noticing is the seibel middle tier(s) spawing 400+ remote connections but not cleaning them up.

then sort your application out if it is not closing connections

Quote Originally Posted by jlakhani
    Tamil, we are running two instances on this server. based on Oracle 9i kernel parm recommendations, the kernel parms are tuned optimally. What we are noticing is the seibel middle tier(s) spawing 400+ remote connections but not cleaning them up.
    The Siebel app server uses connection pools. The POOLS (connections you see in DB server) are persistent. They will be reused as the users login into system. No need to worry. I am also using Siebel.

Tamil