DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Failsafe and load balancing while changing platform

Question Failsafe and load balancing while changing platform

I have 6 instances running on windows 2000 server A, upon failure i have the same set of hardware server B which will take up immediately mounting all the 6 instances, done by Oracle Fail safe. Its a kind of active-passive set up.The users will not even know the switch.

the same kind of set up i need to do at diff site with Solaris servers going for active-active.

In the windows config the 2nd server is always idle wasting the resources, being active-passive can have only fail safe.Now i want to have active-active to enable load balancing too by running the 2nd server. Is that possible, if so how to go about. I heared there is no Oracle Fail safe tool available for the Solaris platform.
    "What is past is PROLOGUE"

active-passive = standby db
    active-active = rac
    Jeff Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by marist89
    active-passive = standby db
    active-active = rac
    Yes i got the same from docs on Google as active-active is not possible with out RAC, but RAC is too big for my env and budget does not allow for RAC licenses.

Under these circumstances Active-passive is the only option left.

If its standby, be logical or physical - Its not possible like Oracle failsafe, as the servers are switched with out any manual intervention back and forth.

Have you read Failsafe doc? You can setup a active-active configuration

Quote Originally Posted by pando
    Have you read Failsafe doc? You can setup a active-active configuration
    Yes
    Is failsafe available in Solaris?

if you have 6 instances then set up 3 in one node and the other 3 in the other, if one fail then failover 3 instance to another server

normally this sort of configuration recommends different init.ora settings in both nodes, for example instance_x would have 1gb db_cache in production node but when it is failover to the standby node it would have 512mb db cache

to perform the failover you use some software like sun cluster or veritas cluster

Quote Originally Posted by pando
    if you have 6 instances then set up 3 in one node and the other 3 in the other, if one fail then failover 3 instance to another server

normally this sort of configuration recommends different init.ora settings in both nodes, for example instance_x would have 1gb db_cache in production node but when it is failover to the standby node it would have 512mb db cache

to perform the failover you use some software like sun cluster or veritas cluster
    I get 2 options from from what you say:
    Server A: 3 instances
    Server B: 3 instances

1. If A fails standby takes over(means a separate server other than A & B) is that what you say (OR)
    2. If A fails B would be the standby for A and vice versa. Is this possible? considering the total 6 instances load(of which 2 instances has high load processing financial data)

apart from all these if there is a situation to switch A > B and B > A atleast 3 times in a month, Is that possible on Primary-standby(active-passive) mode to do frequent switching?

The Sun/Veritas cluster you are talking about does it do the failover as in Oracle Failsafe for windows?