DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: the size of tempfile?

the size of tempfile?

when i apply "alter database tempfile /path_to_temp01/temp01.dbf resize 500M;" command, i can see via oem that the size takes a value what i set. But in the operating system environment (which is linux) i can not see the changed size with du -ha command. it remains constant. what is the reason of this? will this situation be a problem for the temp file? and How can i calculate the ideal size of this file?

Quote Originally Posted by dervisali
    when i apply "alter database tempfile /path_to_temp01/temp01.dbf resize 500M;" command, i can see via oem that the size takes a value what i set. But in the operating system environment (which is linux) i can not see the changed size with du -ha command. it remains constant. what is the reason of this? will this situation be a problem for the temp file? and How can i calculate the ideal size of this file?

you would see them when the objects occupy the resized space.
    Generally you would see them immediately (as in Soalris).
    "What is past is PROLOGUE"

Sizing of temp depends entirely on your application. DDS / Data whse type stuff, usually requires a larger temp. Straight OLTP - probably smaller temp is fine. Depends on size of data.

See v$sort_usage and v$sort_segment for usage. I monitor mine, so I can tell who is running large sorts.
    "False data can act only as a distraction. Therefore. I shall refuse to perceive you." - Bomb #20