DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1Z0-045 10g upgrade certification

1Z0-045 10g upgrade certification

Hello
    Currently I'm 8i OCP.
    Trying to find a book to prepare for 1Z0-045 10g upgrade exam, but couldn't find any.

OCP: Oracle 10g New Features for Administrators Study Guide : Exam 1Z0-040 (Certification Study Guide)

The above book is the closest one I could find and I know this book is meant for 9i to 10g upgrade and seems to be highly rated.

My question is, will that be ok for me to prepare for the 1Z0-045 exam by studying the above book?

If someone could pl. let me know, really appreciate it!

thanks mich

Hi Mich,

From your mail I believe that you have completed the OCP 1Z0-007.Im Elayakumar working as an Oracle Developer. I would like to improve my strength by taking any one of the certification exams. Please send me any useful link, where can I have the materials to take 1Z0-007. I'll be thankful to you.

Thanks in advance
    Elay

Hi Mike,

The only way that I know is to attend the following Oracle course:
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_...S&source_call=
    This is the only one applicable source.
    There is no published book about the subject as you've already found.
    Another my suggestion (but not approved from Oracle and requiring more research) is to find two sources (book or student guide): "Oracle9i: New Features for Administrators" and "Oracle 10g: New Features for Administrators" and to bring them together, to learn both of them and to go for the exam. As you can see, there is no Practise Test on the site of http://www.selftestsoftware.com about this exam as well.
    Keep in mind that you will become an OCP DBA in Oracle 10g but you will not be recognized as an OCP DBA in Oracle9i, you will just jump over this credential - Oracle will say: yes, you are OCP 10g but you are not OCP 9i.
    If I am wrong about this, please let someone correct me.
    Radoslav Rusinov
    OCP 8i,9i,10g DBA
    http://dba-blog.blogspot.com

Hey Radoslav,
    Thanks for your reply.
    My intention is to complete the Oracle 10g OCP by skipping 9i OCP.
    Yes I know I wan't be consider as 9i OCP, is this something not good?
    could you pl. clarify

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Jey
    Hey Radoslav,
    Thanks for your reply.
    My intention is to complete the Oracle 10g OCP by skipping 9i OCP.
    Yes I know I wan't be consider as 9i OCP, is this something not good?
    could you pl. clarify

thanks
    It depends, many companies are still on 9i and will be for a while longer. Many of the companies I deal with are in the fortune 500 and I have only heard a couple of them talking about going to 10g. Of course, this is only in reference to the products I deal with.

In my opinion you should do both tests since there only seems to be separate material for 9i and 10g upgrades. I finally took the 9i upgrade last summer and I'm currently studying for the 10g (its a bit harder than I thought, lots of new functionality). I don't see people moving to 10g too quickly.

Several years ago people seemed to move to 9i faster than they are moving to 10g right now. Having the 9i on your resume also might make you more marketable in the short term. Once again, this is just my opinion.

Thanks Harris, your feedback does make sense!

Hi Mike,

If you are planning to work with Oracle9i, then it makes sense to become an OCP 9i DBA first. If your employer can value this certification, then it's a good idea too.
    By my personal opinion, it is better do not skip versions - it will show to your future employer that you are stable with the desire to stay up-to-date with all new releases of Oracle and you have experience (or at least knowledge) with all of them.
    If I should make a choice between two similar job candidates and one of them is OCP 8i,10g and the other is OCP 8i,9i,10g (and they have similar practical skills), then I would prefer the last one. The gap between versions only shows that someone had some problems to stay up-to-date (which doesn't means that he is not good professional at all).
    I am planning to go for OCP 9i and then for OCP 10g upgrade.
    Last edited by rado; 12-30-2005 at 06:49 AM.
    Radoslav Rusinov
    OCP 8i,9i,10g DBA
    http://dba-blog.blogspot.com