DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OEM 10G vs 9i

OEM 10G vs 9i

Hi everyone - I've been gone for a while!

I've been contemplating installing Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control 10G (10.1). I currently have OEM 9i running, although I hardly ever use it because it's such a pain. (We have DBArtisan, which is much more user friendly). We have a new application going on line and I want to be able to monitor it a bit better (We have a license for the Performance and Tuning Packs).

I'd like to get my feet wet a bit with 10G by using the OEM Grid Control. But I'm still a bit leary about it. I had heard a lot of people complaining about it when it first came out. Plus, it uses Oracle Application Server - which has lots of security problems from what I understand. (We do not have OAS installed at ALL here.)

I'm on AIX, so the latest version of OEM 10G is 10.1.

So, is it worth it to use 10g Grid control, or should I stick with 9i?

Thanks for your opinions...

Jodie

this a single database? if so you can use dbconsole as opposed to grid control

saying it contains the app server isnt entirely true - it has oc4j which is also a part of the app server

Dave -
    I need to monitor several DBs - all of which are 9i. My understanding was that I needed Grid control to do multiple 9i databases.

From the Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control Installation and Basic Configuration document (Table 1-1):
    The Oracle Management Service is installed with and deployed on the Oracle Application Server. As a result, when you install the Oracle Management Service, the installation procedure first installs Oracle Applications Server.
    That to me says the entire App Server... am I mis-understanding?

Thanks!
    Jodie

hmm i guess im talkng crap then :-)

yes grid control can monitor 9i, need to install the agent into its own home on that server though

If you can afford to wait until 10GR2 is released for your platform, I'd recommend it. Many of the bugs are fixed, and some much needed functionality is incorporated (the job system is soooooo much better).

Yes, for for multiple databases you need grid control.

Bazza

Thanks for all the info..

Have a great Holiday everyone!