DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copying a 22Gig partition from Production to Development

newbie5 is offline Call me super inquisitive

Copying a 22Gig partition from Production to Development

I need to copy a 22G partition from our production to development database.

What is the best way to do this with minimum time spent on resources. I am under the impression that transportable tablespaces feature needs the datafiles in read only mode which I can not do in production. Is it true?

if you want the minimum resource usage on production then TT would be the way to go ... readonly is a requirement of the source database, not the target one, no?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

The source database is production which I can not possibly make read only during christmas holiday season.

So this is a partition that is still subject to data changing, or is it just sharing a TS with other data that might change?

What's your version?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

The easiest way would probably be to just copy it via DB link.

One way which would use no ressources on the Prod Server would be to restore your Prod backup on the Dev server and then copy your data from this new DB into your Dev DB.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie5
    I need to copy a 22G partition from our production to development database.

What is the best way to do this with minimum time spent on resources. I am under the impression that transportable tablespaces feature needs the datafiles in read only mode which I can not do in production. Is it true?
    Do you (or the developers) really need 22GB partition in development env? I don't think so.

What you should do is create a partition and insert sample data (may be around 100,000 rows) and update the statistics manually to several million rows. This can be easily achieved through exp/imp with minimum overhead on prod server.

Tamil

The development says it is working on a sev1 ticket and for whatever reason needs the entire 22Gigs of data.

I am doing an exp/imp. I heard of fast reader. What is it? Is it any faster really?
    Last edited by newbie5; 12-14-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie5
    The development says it is working on a sev1 ticket and for whatever reason needs the entire 22Gigs of data.

I am doing an exp/imp. I heard of fast reader. What is it? Is it any faster really?
    why should an export/import be better then a copy over a DB link?

Wouldnt the exp/imp need a huge UNDO segment for a table of size 22GB? How long does the whole export operation of the table take.

Thanks.

Do the prod and developer databases use the same os? Do you backup your database? Have you tested your restore procedures lately? Why don't you just restore from the backup? If it is a question of disk space, you can always remap the drives as raid 0 while you are doing your testing.