DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: problems with database files on encrypted disk

Hybrid View

problems with database files on encrypted disk

Hello to everyone,

I need to protect my database files from theft. The solution I want, is to use a virtual disk (something like TrueCrypt or PGPDisk for example) where all my data is located (not only the oracle database files).

The problem with Oracle is that I even cannot create the new Intance. I tried on two different computers with two different Oracle versions.

On the first first computer I have Oracle 9i and I get a media failure message in the trace file during the database creation process:
    -----------------
    KCF: write/open error block=0x1de online=1
    file=2 P:\ORACLE\MYDB\UNDOTBS01.DBF
    error=27070 txt: 'OSD-04016: Error queuing an asynchronous I/O request.
    O/S-Error: (OS 1450) Insufficient system resources exist to complete the the requested service'
    Tue Dec 06 03:10:19 2005
    Errors in file p:\oracle\mydb\bdump\mydb_dbw0_3236.trc:
    ORA-01242: data file suffered media failure: database in NOARCHIVELOG mode
    ORA-01114: IO error writing block to file 2 (block # 478)
    ORA-01110: data file 2: 'P:\ORACLE\MYDB\UNDOTBS01.DBF'
    ORA-27070: skgfdisp: async read/write failed
    ---------------

On the second computer I installed the latest version 10g, and the database creation assistant hang when reaching 74%. I have to reset the computer.

Thank You for any help
    andrea

Note: I am using Windows XP SP2 and I have the disk P: where all the protected data is stored. It is years that I use this solution for all my data files without any problem. I executed scandisk and other tools on the encrypted disk and no errors are reported.

have you considered using transparent data encryption? It protects your data from theft even if your disks are stolen

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    have you considered using transparent data encryption? It protects your data from theft even if your disks are stolen
    No I didnt thought about it. Sincerely I prefer to not relay on windows/oracle encryption, but I want to use just one encryption scheme/disk for all the files (not only oracle)

Thank you for your help
    Andrea

doesnt seem to work though does it