DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Windows Error: 109

Unhappy Windows Error: 109

Hello all,

I have installed Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 Server on a Windows XP SP2 machine and installed Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 client on a Windows 2000 SP4 machine. I have no problems connecting to the Server machine through Enterprise Manager. If I try to connect through the jdbc driver 'ojdbc14.jar', I get a successfull connection very rarely and most of the time the following error is returned:

Io exception: Connection refused
    (DESCRIPTION=(TMP=)(VSNNUM=153092352)(ERR=12500)(E RROR_STACK=(ERROR=(CODE=12500)(EMFI=4))(ERROR=(COD E=12537)(EMFI=4))(ERROR=(CODE=12560)(EMFI=4))(ERRO R=(CODE=507)(EMFI=4))(ERROR=(BUF='32-bit Windows Error: 109: Unknown error'))))

I do not get this error though if I try to connect to the database from the server machine through the jdbc! My guess is that there are security issues I need to disable in Windows XP..! Should I use an later jdbc driver or can someone tell me how to prevent this connection error.

Please help...

Sheldon

Have you tried disabling the XP firewall on the server machine?

Bazza

(DESCRIPTION=(TMP=)(VSNNUM=153092352)(ERR=12500)(E RROR_STACK=(ERROR=(CODE=12500)(EMFI=4))(ERROR=(COD E=12537)(EMFI=4))(ERROR=(CODE=12560)(EMFI=4))(ERRO R=(CODE=507)(EMFI=4))(ERROR=(BUF='32-bit Windows Error: 109: Unknown error'))))

Based on the message above, the error stack is something like this:

TNS-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
    TNS-12537: TNS:connection closed
    TNS-12560: TNSrotocol adapter error
    TNS-00507: Connection closed

Sounds like the listener is not able to startup a dedicated server process on the database server machine. Could be a timeout issue with the listener or could be windows security issues. Some of the other areas you can possibly look at:

-- Using the resource monitors supplied by windows, monitor the memory usage. If there is memory constraint on the database server then increase the amount of memory available to the system either by removing unnecessary processes or increasing the amount of physical memory.

- The TNS-12500 can be a result of the 'processes' parameter for your instance being too low. At the time of the problem, connect to the DB as sysdba and check the output of the following query:
    SQL> select * from v$resource_limit where resource_name = 'processes';

If the max_utilization value is equal to the value for limit_value then you are probably hitting a limit on the number of processes.

-- Look for proper session disconnects where sometimes sessions might not be disconnecting from the database.

- Applications like weblogic or websphere have memory settings for their DB connections. Make sure whatever application you are using to connect to the DB has proper memory settings.

-- Make sure the database settings that allocate space at the session level PGA memory (sort_area_size, hash_area_size, BITMAP_MERGE_AREA_SIZE,CREATE_BITMAP_AREA_SIZE......) are sized properly.

Good Luck!

http://www.dbaxchange.com

Not sure how the "smiles" icon appeared in my reply above. Fat fingers maybe!

Oh well......

Typing Colon after P gets this, try colon space P.

: Protocol
    "What is past is PROLOGUE"