DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DB Antivirus

DB Antivirus

Hi guys,

I have maybe a silly question but its bothering me a lot.I have one DB server Oracle 9i with Windows 2003 Ent Server Sp1 and one Application
    server with Windows 2003 Std Server which hosts only the forms.I installed in both servers Mcafee VirusScan 8.0 which i control through Epo 3.5 .I have a serious perfomance matter from day to day in random
    hours.So iam thinking is there a possibility that Mcafee is a cause?Is there any special antivirus for db or application server?

Thanks a lot

Nick

Some AV software will cause problems in the Listener.... like Panda. That was my experience. But, a system administrator should be able to disable those scanning functions in the AV software. Check the scanning options in Mcafee. One of our clients uses Mcafee Av with good success in an Oracle environment.
    Able was I ere I saw Elba

So is there any standard documentation so that i can read and configure properly Mcafee 8.0 for my database ?

shouldnt have a virus checker, will affect performance and can kill the instance.

The database server should be secure and away from the internet so viruses can't get onto it

So you suggest to remove the Antivirus from Database?I will do it and see if there is a difference.What about the application server which just hosts the forms?should i do the same?