DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memory configuration -Win 2003 Server SE - 4GB Ram

Memory configuration -Win 2003 Server SE - 4GB Ram

Hello,
    I have a windows 2003 server standard edition with 4GB of physical memory. I need to install 2 database instances on it. Can I allocate upto 2 GB to 1st instance, and 1 GB to 2nd (3GB for both) or will I be limited to just 2GB for both instance without forcing the OS to use swap/page files?
    User Population is 150 users on 1st and 15 on the 2nd. Both will be hosting a similar transaction processing database.
    Currently, 1st db is running on a Win NT 4.0 server with 2GB Ram.
    2nd is running on Win 2000 1GB Ram. And I was planning to use the same existing parameters when setting up the new server because performance on both is great.
    Thanks for your help

why not put them as separate schemas in the same database, then give all the memory to a single database?

That was a suggestion made to managment earlier but did not get approved. Reasons:
    1. These databases will house sensitive data for 2 separate companies and would be violating the GLB Privacy law. DBA in company 1 not allowed to access info from company 2. And many other issues related to GLB law.
    2. Each databases will have a remote standby databases running at their desired DR locations. Locations may be different.
    3. Shutingdown 1 db should not affect other company's db

But that was a good point. It just was not a possible solution for us.
    Thanks

You should be fine to allocate 2GB to one and 1GB to the other... The memory limitation i think you are referring to is no more than 2GB of memory allocated to a single process (single occurance of ORACLE.EXE in this case). Therefore, if you install as two separate databases, you would have two processes. Not a problem.

If you need to extend this in the future when these databases outgrow the current infrastructure, you could add the 3GB switch into the boot.ini file in the short term, but ultimately you would have to look at Windows AS / Windows DC (where you can allocate more memory to processes), or bite the bullet and go Unix/Linux.
    Assistance is Futile...

assumming you are using windows 2003 64 bit SE

you can only address 1.7gb memory unless you configure Address Windowing Extensions

Thanks for your input Waitecj.
    Pando, I'm on using 32 Bit. Does this affect any of the facts suggested above ?
    Thanks

I make a pardon I was referring 32 bit

Thanks everybody for your help.
    So I take it that I can address upto 1.7 GB for each instance safely.
    Thanks

for the SGA yes, but remember you also need memory for the PGA / OS so dont give 1.75Gb per instance or you will be short

The 1.7GB limit applies to SGA + PGA, i.e if you have 1.5GB SGA you can only have a maximum of 200MB PGA