DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: foreign keys constraint????

Question

Hello,
    Can any body answer these questions in the order they appear please?

1.Can you insert into a table that has foreign key constraint without doing anything to the primary key? I have a table that has foreign key columns, can any one tell me if I can insert into those columns without doing anything to the primary keys that are on another table?

2. How doy find out what table is the foreign key referencing from. I have a table that has foreign key columns but I'm trying to find out where the primary keys that the foreign keys are referencing is located? I tried using DBA_CONSTRAINS, and DBA_CONS_COLUMNNS but it did not help.

regards,
    dorothy

to answer q2.
    visit [url]http://ora.dbasupport.com/oracle/scripts/Administration/Dependencies/[/url]

thanks for the reply. I Have checked those scripts out. I just want you to give answers to my question #1 if you can.

thanks,
    dorothy

Hi dorothy

Your question:
    Can you insert into a table that has foreign key constraint without doing anything to the primary key? I have a table that has foreign key columns, can any one tell me if I can insert into those columns without doing anything to the primary keys that are on another table?

Yes you can as long as the inserted value is a value also present in the refered column from the other table.

HTH

Tycho