Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Impact of two databases sharing an oracle instance

if one schema is your metadata and SMALL...cache it
    if its a pre-live/load schema I would do nologging on tbs's
    AND keep undo_tbs as a non-system tbspace

I work with 4 schemas in one db. No problems the past 4 years
    Able was I ere I saw Elba

Quote Originally Posted by mrchrispy
    I know where your coming from but if they are 2 entirely different applications (with different business owners, business functions and such) I thinks it best to split them. Having them on the same server is bad enough (e.g. if one instance is burning up CPU) but if they are sharing the instance it'll be all the more difficult to isolate any problems.

I just don't think its worth the hassle doing this with two production systems.

fair enough, judgement call needs to be made for each case then, but Id certinaly like to start with trying to put things together, my database here has 140 schemas in it without problem really, works for me but may not for others

Here's my general rule: Consolidate to share, Distribute to manage.

There's nothing better than having the data you need to share under the same memory (cache) structures.

Taking a system (application in your case) down that doesn't need to go down is bad design.

Do these applications have the same uptime and recovery requirements?

If you need to bounce the instance for an init param change, you'll take both "applications" down.

Any instance change, will mean that you need to test both effected applications, yadda, yadda, yadda

I'm all for consolidation and I don't believe in throwing hardware at a problem. But sometimes a little extra hardware may save you a lot of headaches down the road.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

Quote Originally Posted by mrchrispy
    I know where your coming from but if they are 2 entirely different applications (with different business owners, business functions and such) I thinks it best to split them. Having them on the same server is bad enough (e.g. if one instance is burning up CPU) but if they are sharing the instance it'll be all the more difficult to isolate any problems.

I just don't think its worth the hassle doing this with two production systems.
    both the applications are pretty much related and the databases uses DB Link to access each other's data

Quote Originally Posted by nirupam
    both the applications are pretty much related and the databases uses DB Link to access each other's data
    That sounds like they should be one Database instance then. Look at Oracle Application Servers Meta Data Repository - It installs 22 schemas just for that.

Quote Originally Posted by nirupam
    If thats the case then is sounds like sharing an instance is the logical approach, I was thinking worst case (as I tend to do ).