DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Restore TS to different database??

Hybrid View

Question Restore TS to different database??

I need to restore several tablespaces from an RMAN database backup (DB-1) to a different database (DB-2) on a different server than where they originated. These tablespaces currently do not exist in DB-2. Other tablespaces do exist, so datafiles will not have the same file number in the target database. Both source and target databases are 9iRAC. Can this be done? If so, how? Export/import isn't feasible due to file sizes and nature of data.

transportable tablespaces is your only option, you cant do it from an rman backup

From what I understand, in order to use transportable tablespaces as a means to copy the tablespaces, I would need to set up a temporary database, do a full restore from the rman backup, alter the tablespaces to be copied to be transportable, and then export/import the tablespaces. Is this correct?

no, transportable tablespace is when you take a tablespace from one database directly to another (as long as they are the same versiob and os)

It involves taking the tablespace offline, checking for violations then exporting the basic files and importing the tbs into a different database.

You said you were short of space so this may not be an option for you either (but you are limited in what you can do)

The source database is a 24x7 production database so I can't take the ts offline. I would have to build an intermediate db in order to do that, in which case it would probably be easier to just create a temporary database and do a full restore.

Thanks for all the input. You definitely saved me some time & trouble.