DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backup/recovery senarios opinion

backup/recovery senarios opinion

Hi all,

I have couple of DEV databases that need to be backup and I want to get some advises from you guys:

Again, it's Dev database and EXP/IMP is not a good method for backup as many said so I am thinking using RMAN; hwoever, RMAN required the DB in Archived log mode whcih I don't need that for Dev so you think that I should run hot backup (out the tablespace in backup mode and run the backup while the database online???) again, EXP/IMP may not be a good idea b/c the DB is huge and it will take days to import data.

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by hannah00
    hwoever, RMAN required the DB in Archived log mode
    and where did you get that from, have you read the docs before ask this sort of questions?

I am sorry to misinterpret.

what I mean was RMAN require DB running ARCHIVE log mode in order for you to backup online, other wise you have to shutdown the DB or put the tablespace in backup mode.

Why not run Dev in archive mode? Is Dev generating that much redo?

Do you ever refresh Dev data from Prod?
    "False data can act only as a distraction. Therefore. I shall refuse to perceive you." - Bomb #20

Running DEv in Archive log mode will cause overhead and resources and we do refresh DEv from Prod sometime. what is your opinion????

And what´s wrong shutting down a dev database to make a backup? You have 24x7 Developers?

Quote Originally Posted by hannah00
    Running DEv in Archive log mode will cause overhead and resources and we do refresh DEv from Prod sometime. what is your opinion????
    As Pando has already pointed, you don't need the DEv instance to be up all the time, do you ? You can simply configure RMAN to take cold backups every nigt...
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Pando,

thanks for your opinion, nothing wrong with shutting down the DB, that's one of the option so that I bring up and ask your opinion so I can implement it.

I ask about prod to dev refreshes, because that can be a form of backup. It all depends on how long it takes if it's viable or not.

Some of my dev environments aren't too strict, knowing that if I had to - I could just refresh dev from prod and no one would care.

Most of my dev can't be shut down at night - they run same nightly jobs, etc that prod does. I occasionally do shutdown on weekends and do a cold backup, that's a coordinated scheduled event though.

This is all based on my particular situation - may or may not be advisable for yours.

In Other past situations, I viewed Dev as a production box - if it went down lots of people couldn't work - and they did work 24x7 - so we ran it in archive mode.
    "False data can act only as a distraction. Therefore. I shall refuse to perceive you." - Bomb #20

thanks all,

but the downside of shutting down the DB and taking the baclup is you can't do incremental or differential backup, you have to take a cold backup every day.

What is your opinion???