DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Drop Tablespaces using Raw Files - Oracle9i RAC

Smile Drop Tablespaces using Raw Files - Oracle9i RAC

Hai Everybody.
    We are using Oracle 9.2.0.6.0 on HP-UX11i, 64bit version. It's a two node RAC DB clsuter. We have created initally some tablespaces with big sizes. Now as we are facing some storage problems on our SAN, we want to reduce the sizes to appropriate sizes and also drop unnecessary tablespaces. But the problem is we are using RAW Volumes instead of filesystem. So, Please help me in this regard.

regards,
    Dileep Tallam.

for resize, it is difficult. Typically volume manager does not support shrink volume.

For drop, it is easy. you drop the tablespace in oracle, and Unix Admin should be able to either reanme, or remove the volume in unix.
    www.cnoug.org

Thanks for you reply. I will discuss with our Unix Admin regarding the Volume Shrinking.

I would like to if there is any document on working with RAW Volumes etc. Is it different for different platforms or same on all platforms? We are using HP-UX11i on nodes and HP SAN.

regards,
    Dileep Tallam.

for resize, it is difficult. Typically volume manager does not support shrink volume.
    The HPUX lvm does support reducing a logical volume (man lvreduce). I have successfully reduced a logical volume used to hold an Oracle datafile on a number of occaisions. Of course you have to be very sure that you are not going to reduce below the actual datafile! I seem to recall that lvreduce displays a warning regarding data loss regardless of whether the command will result in data being destroyed.

Thanks for ur reply. Actually our datafiles are very big in size about 20GB. But most of them are empty, I mean without any user data. So there is no problem even if we reduce the datafile size. That's the reason why we wanted to reduce the datafiles size, as they are nothing but raw volumes here in our case.

regards,
    Dileep Tallam.

Will it be possible to move all objects to new tablespace and get rid of existing tablespace and freeing up the raw devices?
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Quote Originally Posted by tvrdileep
    Thanks for ur reply. Actually our datafiles are very big in size about 20GB. But most of them are empty, I mean without any user data. So there is no problem even if we reduce the datafile size. That's the reason why we wanted to reduce the datafiles size, as they are nothing but raw volumes here in our case.

regards,
    Dileep Tallam.
    Then alter database datafile x resize x and then lvreduce the raw logical volume, being sure not to make the logical volume smaller than the actual datafile stored on it.