DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: lost all redo logs!

Hi

We have a Database in HP-UX, Oracle 8i Standard Edition. Database running in archive log mode.
    Last saturday, 3 days ago we accidently deleted all redo log files, there were 3 groups with 3 members each. We cant now open the database.
    How can we recover this!!!???
    We only have a cold backup from last Monday and no archived log since they were deleted accidently too!

Please help!!!

Hi,
    I am assuming that the database was shutdown cleanly , ie with shutdown normal/immediate before the accidental deletion took place.
    If so, then all committed transactions are already in your datafiles and there is no problem at all.
    just mount the database, and then open with resetlogs option, ie, alter database open resetlogs.
    This will create a new set of redo log files, but all the archived log files(which i think are anyway lost) can never be used again.
    Hope this helps

Hi we tried resetlogs but it says it is not allowed since we havent performed any incomplete recovery!
    What should we do if it wasnt cleanly shutdown?

this will work if database was cleanly shutdown:

startup mount

then issue the following command for redo log groups that have been archived,
    alter database clear logfile group X;

where X is the number of group

For redo log groups that have NOT been archived

alter database clear unarchived logfile group X;

where X is the number of group

Alternatively you could try to recreate a controlfile with TO TRACE option and edit the output file, in statement NORESETLOGS change it to RESETLOGS this will let you to open the database with RESETLOGS option

I wouyld try the first option first, make sure you havr a backup before doing these procedures.

If the database was not cleanly shutdown the situation is more complicated! You would probably need to restore a backup and apply archived logs but since you said you lost these too.... You would lose data!

there is a simpler way

fake a database recovery and open with resetlogs option

startup mount
    recover database until cancel, after this command immediately it should say media recovery successful then issue

alter database open resetlogs;

regards