DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: copy backup sets to new server then restore

copy backup sets to new server then restore

Is is possible to copy the backupsets from another server along with archive logs and apply them to a new server?

If this is possible can I then apply the redo log that has not been archived?

The reason I'm asking is I need to document some possible recovery scenarios and I mentioned that this may be possible to do.

thanks

Research first, then suggest.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...a96653/toc.htm

You probably want a standby database for business continuation, and hot backups for disaster recovery.

We will setup dataguard in the near future but I'm looking at the possibility of copying and restoring for learning purposes.

I also manage a few sql servers and its fairly easy to copy the databases (the backups) and restore them on another machine.

thanks.

Hi

Yes

if the server where you did the backup and the server where you want recover the backupsets have the same filesystems its very easy.

If the server where you want to recover the backupsets has a different filesystem then you need to cheat by creating soft links and make RMAN think that she is restoring from the same backup location from where it was originally backed up.

If you backup to tape then you need to configure the server where you will be restoring the backupsets as a client see your media manager for details.

Read the RMAN docs and search on metalink test it out :-)

regards
    Hrishy

I guess I'm a little confused on exactly what to do. For me to bring my other server up to date with my primary I need 3 things.
    1. The most recent backup
    2. All Archive logs since last backup
    3. The most current redo log.

If I do a log switch on the primary then that redo log goes into the archive. I then I only need to copy the files from steps 1 and 2 over to my backup db and run restore.

If the primary crashes I can still do steps 1 and 2 but how do I handle the most current redo log?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Bogey; 09-22-2005 at 02:48 PM.