DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: return to primary from standby

return to primary from standby

Oracle 9.2.0.6
    OS AIX 5.1L
    We are looking for a way to go back to our primary site in the event a failover to remote physical standby site is necessary. From the documentation it looks like this is not possible. We'd like to capture changes on standby site and apply them to primary after recovery. Has anyone set up a system like this before? The only thing I can think of is to capture changes on active standby site using strings and apply these to the primary after recovery. I have limited experience with strings. Does this sound feasible to anyone? Thanks.

Not only is it possible, that's the standard operating procedure. Once you switch your standby database to the primary database, your old primary becomes your new standby. Of course, if you needed to switch over, you probably need to do some hardware fixing on the old primary node. I've found the easiest way is to take a hot backup of the now primary database, restore it on the old primary hardware and let your standby catch up with the primary. Once it's all caught up, you can perform a switch again.
    Jeff Hunter

Thats the part we're trying to work around. The time to recover the datafiles of the now primary and physically move them to the old primary site takes 2 to 3 days. We actually have to move the files to a windows box, put them on a usb drive, Fedex the drive to old primary site, put drive on windows box, and finally load files onto unix server. And yes, we're assuming total failure on old primary system that does not allow us to put it in standby. We're looking for a way to recover old primary from RMAN, assuming this is possible, and apply changes that were made to standby site while this was happening.

With 9ir2, you'll have to rebuild standby manually after a "failover".

However, 10gR2 will do it seamlessly (provided you have flashback database enabled).

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...t.htm#i1027411

Okay, I think I got what I need. Thanks everyone.