Working in the Architecture group, this individual is required to demonstrate Technical Architectural Leadership, playing a vital role in the design, operation, implementation, and maintenance of PayPal’s web properties running in 24x7x52 environment.
• Analyze business requirements to determine system design, potential issues, and related cost for each project request.
• Review Requirement Documents, and develop implementation strategies that preserve the integrity, availability, stability, and scalability of site systems and designs, and minimize TCO.
• Produce design documents to effectively handover system architecture to other Operations departments for successful systems implementation.
• Demonstrate expertise and leadership in problem solving.
• Work with Business Units, Systems Administrators, Network Engineers, Applications Developers, Software Architects, Data Base Administrators, and Suppliers to prevent or solve difficult performance problems.
• Interact with internal and external technical leaders to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to availability, functionality, performance, scalability, and reliability, realistic implementation schedules and adherence to architectural goals and principles.
• Contribute to the selection, prototyping, and implementation of hardware, Operating Systems, applications, and technical solutions to business problems.
• Strong technical background in Database operations and Database design trade-offs.
• Excellent communication and relationship skills, especially the ability to articulate advanced technical topics (e.g. database architecture, process scheduling, disk and file system I/O, layered software designs and implementations, kernel internals, TCP/IP communications at all levels).
• Ability to articulate technical issues/concerns with staff, peers, superiors, and outside parties (e.g. vendors, partners)
• Expertise (breadth) in the following technologies: Solaris operations, programming services and internals; Linux; Managing/Tuning Database servers; Database Design; Advanced Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM); VERITAS Cluster Server (VCS) or other High-availability service, especially in a SAN environment; design and operations of SAN environments; high availability strategies; TCP/IP and load balancing strategies; Applications design and implementation; C/C++ programming; J2EE; Messaging and Queuing; SMTP; Utility scripting (e.g. awk, sed, perl, bourne); Web services design
• Ability to quickly learn existing complex systems infrastructure.
• Demonstrable analytical and problem solving skills, particularly as it relates to systems design. Experience in developing quality centric processes.
• Ability to contribute to multiple projects/demands simultaneously.
• Knowledge and experience using PayPal’s websites strongly preferred
• Experience in Internet banking environments is a plus.