DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Value of having a db export

Value of having a db export

I know db export gives us a logical backup of the database. But is it really necessary to regularly export backup the database (like once a week) in addition to hot backups? If the dump files are huge (>10G), it will take forever to use them to restore. In what scenarios are export backups useful?

exports are not a backup tool - period

In my company, the previous dba had setup export backups for once a week in addition to hot backups everyday. Agree with you that export will not provide us any value, but I just dont want to make the change and remove the backup job without careful consideration. Please advise.

We've had a situation where there was data deleted from tables (version 7.3), with data being added every day. The users were able to restore a copy of a table from the export to a different schema, determine the deltas and restore the data.
    It may be beneficial for instances not in archive log mode, that is to say, development or oracle 7.3. Databases in archivelog mode can use logminer (above version 8).

export is a complementary tool to a backup strategy

for example it's useful in environments where tons of PL/SQL is used

Thank you all. Then I guess it doesnt hurt to leave it in there... just in case, you never know..

Thanks again!