DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to practice restores

How to practice restores

We use hot backups on all our 15-20 production databases. Some of the dbs are 20G and some upto 100G. Since this is a new job for me, I want to practice restores of all these dbs atleast once to begin with. How do I go about doing it?

I did clone a couple of the small dbs on other servers. But cant do it for all dbs as there is not enough room. Please advise.

Also, how often should restores be practiced? (1. to ensure backups are good and 2. to keep restore skills uptodate)

Thanks!

get a test machine and restore the database - break that database and restore it again.

basically get a test machine and go through all of the recovery scenarios

Is practising for one database good enough or should I clone each of the 20 dbs and practice on each? That will take forever... but without practicing for each, how can we ensure all backups are good?

Here's the rule of thumb: Practice recovering what you can't afford to loose.

It doesn't matter how big the database is.

Lead your new company to get a disaster recovery plan. That plan should include a failover scenario.

How often you have a practice disaster recovery depends on at least 2 things; changes and your confidence in the recovery process.

We have a goal to do a complete failover two times a year. It takes a weekend and everyone is on board.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

I believe you should do a test restore at least once a quarter.
    Jeff Hunter