DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SAN Storage

SAN Storage

Hi all,

I have been doing some SAN storage research so I kinda of got some ideas of what it is and what it's for; however, I need to ask you guys a little more detail:

1. SAN storage is nothing esle but multiple DISKS, so I guess they all redundancy all across the SAN, the question is how performance will affect if we put all of the data files, redo and control files in one SAN storage???

2. any tricks or TIPS that you guys recommend???

san storage is no different to locally attachd disks. The only diffferece is that they are not physically connected to the server but usually by some sort of fibre connection.

The same principles apply of dedicated disks to redo / temp.

SAN doesnt mean redundancy, you have to confure it to what you wan, if you want redundancy you configure it, if you dont want it you dont configure it.

You configure the raid level, you configure the separation of disks.

No difference to locally attached disks

Hi

SAN performance can also be horrible if its not configured properly .Better put your db on it and see for yourself

a)How much time it takes create datafiles
    b)Run your test application and see
    c)Yes same principles apply for redo temp controlfiles etc..however you need to becnch mark and test as from a DBA prospective its very difficult to say which disk partition belongs to which disk as that is done at the SAN level.
    d)Also make sure you have sufficent cache for the disk both write and read cache and they are being used.

regards
    Hrishy

thanks Davey and Hirshy for sharing the info.

Hirshy,

how do you test the bench mark on the DB after moving your DB to SAN????

thanks so much

Hrishy is correct..Make sure your unix admin configures it correctly and way you do that is by ensure the volumes you are given have enough alliocated space so you can grow those volumes else you will run into more issues.

test your databae perfomance before and after. Make sure you have 2 fiber cards couple together this way you will get better thruput if your db is very i/o intensive.

jigar
    "High Salaries = Happiness = Project Success."