DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OFA in windows for 9i/Management console in oem

OFA in windows for 9i/Management console in oem

hi,
    can someone please send me a useful link for suggested OFA in a windows environment.

Secondly, can anyone confirm or refute the fact that OEM management console degrades performance and has memory leaks, and or takes up huge amounts of memory when running if events etc have been set up.

Also, we are thinking of having a standalone server with OEM only on it, and using this as one central point to administer all the other oracle databases on other servers. Is this a reasonable thing to do, and does anyone know what system requirements are for management console (e.g. memory/disk space etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by davo
    hi,
    Secondly, can anyone confirm or refute the fact that OEM management console degrades performance and has memory leaks, and or takes up huge amounts of memory when running if events etc have been set up.

Also, we are thinking of having a standalone server with OEM only on it, and using this as one central point to administer all the other oracle databases on other servers. Is this a reasonable thing to do, and does anyone know what system requirements are for management console (e.g. memory/disk space etc)?
    What version of OEM are you considering?

the version that comes with oracle 9.2.0.1 and patchset 3 (9.2.0.4)
    Or we could (if it is to be standalone) use 10G for it - but the other databases are on 9i and cannot be upgraded yet, is it ok to mix the two (i.e. monitor 9i databases on different servers from a 10g enterprise manager console placed standalone on its own server)?

Is there a user guide/documentation for this product somwehere ?

Ok, your first stop is the dicumentation which you should find on your 9i cds.

Alternatively http://www.oracle.com/technology for all docs, including the 10G stuff.

Early versions (9201) of oem did have memory leak issues, especially on unix. We still run oem 9201 on windows NT(!) and 2003 without issues. Some early 9i agents also cause memory leak issues.

Depends on how many nodes/targets you want to monitor, whether to put it on a separate server (if its more than a few I recommend you do). Whatever you do, make sure you have the recommended resources (RAM, CPU) available (see the docs) on the server.

Consider 10g Grid control as well, although release 1 is a little buggy, its still useable (release 2 out later this year) and has some really nice features. Yes 10G will quite happily monitor 9i databases, you just need to install a 10G agent on the target server(s).

Hope this helps

Bazza