DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to call procedure from javascript?

How to call procedure from javascript?

Hi

I have created a procedure to pass in a value (eg: student ID) and an OUT variable from the procedure storing Yes/No to indicate if the student ID exist in the database or not.

I want to use this procedure in a javascript event handler (onChange) so that the user cannot update the student ID if it is already exists in the database.

I have written the following codes for the onChange javascript event handler in the portal form but it is not working! Any help pelase? Thanks!

for (i=0;i {
    if (document.forms[0].elements[i].name ==
    'FORM_EDIT_STUDENT.DEFAULT.STUDENTID.01')
    {
    var v_student_id;
    var v_valid;
    v_student_id = document.forms[0].elements[i].value;
    orcl.check_studentid(v_student_id, v_valid);
    alert(v_student_id ||' '|| v_valid);
    }
    }

Hi Mooks

Dont think so that javascript can actually call a pl/sql procedure that way.

One alternative way would be calling through a html form.

form's action field specifies the procedure to execute, and the named input elements on the HTML form pass parameters

Code:
    form action=my_plsql_proc
    and then the pl/sql procedure is run.

Javascript runs on the client webbrowser pl/sql runs on the server so i would be surprised if somebody here posts the code to call pl/sql procedures from somethin like java script :-)

regards
    Hrishy
    Last edited by hrishy; 08-24-2005 at 05:30 AM.

Hi

Thanks for your reply! I have been searching in the net but could nto find any answers to this issue!

Anyway, is there any alternatives that you would suggest?

How to write a javascript to verify that the value in the form does not exist in the database before update?

Hi

You cna do that in the stored procedure and if the value already exists then the stored proc can actually write out a html page back to the client saying there is a error.

Javascript cannot on its own validate it.Straegy is javascript directs the user to a URL through its forms action item.That url contains a like to the stored procedure which takes the parameters and validates and executes against the database

You get the idea ?

regards
    Hrishy