DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Can't Run Backup in OEM (9i)

Question Can't Run Backup in OEM (9i)

Hi,

I've worked as a programmer and a bit in network admin, but now I'm trying to learn DBA responsibilities. I've installed 9i on a test machine running XP Pro SP2 (unfortunately, this box doesn't have enough firepower to support 10g).

Here's a point where I'm stuck:

I've successfully installed everything, including the OEM console. I opened the console to access the database I created (testdb1.dell.myhomenet).

Obviously, one of the important tasks is backing up the system. I log into OEM with SYS as SYSDBA. No problem. Then I go to Database Wizards > Backup from the tabs on the left side. Doing so, I get an error message stating that I can only launch the wizard when connected to OMS. I created an OMS and connected to it as SYSMAN.

I added two users, admin01 and mike. I granted them CONNECT, DBA, and OEM_MONITOR roles. These are also names of users of Windows accounts using the same user/pass combination to avoid confusion). In Windows, I added both of these users to the ora_dba group, and granted them rights to log in as a batch job.

I then click on the database, and get error "ORA-01017: Invalid username/password; logon denied". I then get a login screen. I attempt to log in with the following:
    SYS: ORA-01017: Invalid username/password; logon denied
    admin01 (as SYSDBA): ORA-01031: Insufficient Privileges
    admin01 (as Normal): I can log in.
    mike (as SYSDBA): ORA-01031: Insufficient Privileges
    mike (as Normal): I can log in.

I again attempt to run a backup, but now get a message saying:
    "Node credentials are not set for this mode. Set the credentials for this node in the preferred credentials."

I then go to Configuration > Preferences, and switch to the "Preferred Credentials" tab. I go to the line for testdb1.dell.myhomenet, and set the username as SYS with the same password as before and log in as normal. Attempting again to backup, I get the message saying:
    "The preferred credentials are not set to SYSDBA. You can either update the preferred credentials for this database in the console or create a backup configuration and override the preferred credentials."

Returning to the "Preferred Credentials" tab, I switch the login type to SYSDBA. After that, I get a different error:
    "Using preferred credentials, the following error occurred: ORA-01017: Invalid username/password; logon denied"

However, this is the exact same user/pass combination as before. I then attempt with the SYSTEM account as SYSDBA, and get "ORA-01031: Insufficient privileges".

Could someone please point out to me what I'm doing wrong? It's probably something obvious (except, of course, to me).

Thanks,
    Mike

my advice - don't do that

schedule through cron or AT

what could be simpler then
    run
    {
    backup database
    }

?

OEM is cute and all but IMHO kludgey
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message