How to use Active Directory with Oracle on Linux
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: How to use Active Directory with Oracle on Linux

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    97

    How to use Active Directory with Oracle on Linux

    Hi,

    plattform: Linux Red Hat 4.2
    db: oracle 9.2.0.6

    I want to use Active Directory in combination with oracle an Linux. Ist that possible?

    Thank you for help!

    Christian

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    New Delhi, INDIA
    Posts
    1,796
    Quote Originally Posted by ckiltz
    I want to use Active Directory in combination with oracle an Linux. Ist that possible?
    If you mean Internet Directory (OID) on linux in general then yes it is possible. Other than the installation part which may differ, the configuration will be same as on any other platform. You can have a look at the administrator guide
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

    Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    97
    No, I do not mean Oracle Internet Directory.

    I got one Oracle9i Database Server on Linux platform and a Windows2003 Active Directory Server. Now I want to use the Windows Active Directory for authentication purposes for my Oracle Database.

    Christian

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    New Delhi, INDIA
    Posts
    1,796
    That should not be a problem. Write code to get authentication from Active Server Directory. If authenticated then proceed and connect to database, if not then throw exception and stop/retry prompt.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

    Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,204
    Christian,

    Definately possible. Practical may be another issue. I didn't do it beause it added another server dependency for data access. Also a couple years ago Oracle's stategy was to nix AD support. I think that has changed though.

    I've got a printout of Chapter 12 of the Networking Admin Guide (I think). It's title is "Using Oracle Database with Microsoft Active Directory" It goes through the steps of adding the Oracle components to AD, configuring, testing and managing them.

    Best of luck, and please let us know how it goes or what you decided to work out.

    Ken

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,587
    What exactly do you want to do?
    Hang the machine in the linux machine in the ADS domain?
    Create schema's which are Domain Admins in the 2003 domain?

    You need to tell us what exactly do you want to achieve with the Directory Server.
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    97
    Hi Ken,

    I found this chapter in "Oracle Platform Guide" but only for Oracle10g. Maybe it helps too! Thank you!

    I will tell "us" more as soon as posible.

    Best wishes from Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by KenEwald
    Christian,

    Definately possible. Practical may be another issue. I didn't do it beause it added another server dependency for data access. Also a couple years ago Oracle's stategy was to nix AD support. I think that has changed though.

    I've got a printout of Chapter 12 of the Networking Admin Guide (I think). It's title is "Using Oracle Database with Microsoft Active Directory" It goes through the steps of adding the Oracle components to AD, configuring, testing and managing them.

    Best of luck, and please let us know how it goes or what you decided to work out.

    Ken

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    97
    Hi Tarry,

    1) I want to use Active Directory instead of tnsnames.ora
    2) If this works, I want to organize my user administration with Active Directory.

    I hope poth steps are possible!?

    Maybe you have some experience?

    Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarry
    What exactly do you want to do?
    Hang the machine in the linux machine in the ADS domain?
    Create schema's which are Domain Admins in the 2003 domain?

    You need to tell us what exactly do you want to achieve with the Directory Server.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,587
    You are actually looking for IM(Identity Management Solutions).
    1) I quite don't understand, how to intend to replace tnsname.ora with ADS. Seems like a vague idea but I'msure you mean something which I haven't understood.
    2) Is possible but it may not have anything to do with Oracle itself unless you already had/have a OID and you wanted integration with ADS.

    See this demo http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe...im/wna/wna.htm

    Check out more of typical demo's.
    http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe.../im/index.html
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    97
    Hi Tarry,

    thank you for your response!

    1) I do not "replace" the tnsnames.ora I want to resolve the service names on a central point (the Active Directory).

    2) As well I want to centralize the user administration with the help of AD (it is not my idea, it is my task! ;-) ).

    One question to the second point:

    On the "Index-Page" you posted I found the following link:
    "Creating Enterprise Users Using Enterprise User Security"

    ? Isīnt this the "way" I have to go better than "Enabling Windows Native Authentication" you recommend me? - Sorry for my scepticism!

    Christian

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width