DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Pro*C

Pro*C

Hi All,

I have assigned a work in Pro*C. I want to know what is the advantage of using Pro*C for application development over SQL server application development in VC++ IDE.

I 'll be thankful to u all....

The main advantage here is : the pro*C precompiler is built by Oracle, so logically it is ** fully ** adapted to work with Oracle databases, this way all the Oracle features (for what your customer paid a lot of $$$) will be here to be used, naturally . Yes, you could develop directly in VC++, but VC++ is built by MS, therefore the native components of this tool (of course) are optimized to use in SQLserver....
    Another point : in pro*C and Oracle db being products of the same soft-house (Oracle) of course whe things go wrong, this is the only provider, the only Support source to be contacted.... Many many enterprises prefers this way.

[]s

J. Laurindo Chiappa

Thanks a lot sir

" this way all the Oracle features (for what your customer paid a lot of $$$) will be here to be used, naturally"

Not quite true. The Pro*C pre-compiler cannot cope with all Oracle features. For example, you have to use dynamic SQL if you want to use a query that includes a scalar subquery.