DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Application error with OPEN_CURSOR

Application error with OPEN_CURSOR

I have an application thats getting an error with the open_cursor parameter. I'm assuming that the value of 300 is too low. Is there any way to track a user on how many cursors are being used?

Hope that made sense.

check out v$open_cursor

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey
    I have an application thats getting an error with the open_cursor parameter. I'm assuming that the value of 300 is too low. Is there any way to track a user on how many cursors are being used?
    300 open_cursors is a lot for an application.

Remember, you have 300 open cursors for EACH SESSION, not in the entire database. It is very unlikely one session has 300 open cursors unless you have a bug in your code. We typically see people asking this question when they open a cursor and don't close it. After a while, they run into an error.
    Jeff Hunter

It is one application that is doing this and the bad thing its not a heavely used app. How can I track down whats causing so many open_cursor errors. I'm using TOAD for admin interface and when I look at the SGA trace I see one query that has 19,0621,121 disk reads (is this bad?)

Just Learning

dan

Hi Dan,
    I have prepared some document one week ago regarding this kind of error. I attach it to my post.
    I just want to note that the document is prepared for an PL/SQL web-based application that explains the "MOD_PLSQL connection pooling" and "DAD performance configuration" at the end.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Radoslav Rusinov
    OCP 8i,9i,10g DBA
    http://dba-blog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by rado
    Hi Dan,
    I have prepared some document one week ago regarding this kind of error. I attach it to my post.
    I just want to note that the document is prepared for an PL/SQL web-based application that explains the "MOD_PLSQL connection pooling" and "DAD performance configuration" at the end.
    Hope this helps.
    That's one of the best documents I've seen describing how to deal with ORA-1000 errors. You should put it on your blog so I can reference it.
    Jeff Hunter

Hi Jeff,
    Thank you for your words!

I put it already on my blog.
    Last edited by rado; 08-05-2005 at 02:18 PM.
    Radoslav Rusinov
    OCP 8i,9i,10g DBA
    http://dba-blog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by rado
    Hi Dan,
    I have prepared some document one week ago
    I guess I have good timing in asking questions. **Did I say this list is aswome**