DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle CRS and ASM

Oracle CRS and ASM

Hello,

Has anyone been using Oracle CRS (Cluster Ready Services) and Oracle ASM (Automatic Storage Management) with Oracle10g RAC. Oracle says ASM is a terrific feature. But I am not sure how reliable it would be in a 24X7 production environment.

I would really appreciate if you can share your thoughts.

Thank you

Not with RAC, but in production since 10.1.0.2 and still running strong without a single flaw.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

I'm about to use the whole shebang on an 8 node RAC. I am also considering building a 2-node firewire RAC first but it will involve both of those products.

Do you know if you can have a 2nd cluster access the DB on a SAN in read-only mode with a 1st cluster accessing it in read-write mode ?

No, You cannot have a 2nd cluster access the DB on a SAN in read-only mode. The second instance must be opened in read-write mode.

Actually what they have been told we can do is what you said but replace 'instance' with 'cluster' as I did in my original question.

I know its weird, but they actually have drawings of a 3-node cluster hitting the san for transactions and another rac cluster hitting it for reporting etc. They were thinking if they buried the box it would contain the damage but what they are likely to bury is the shared disk cabinent and that pain will be felt by all the instances regardless of which cluster they are in.

Oracle says you cannot do it anyways - Sooo I was thinking of all nodes in one rac cluster, then you have all but one doing listener load balancing and the remaining node is dedicated so to speak. If load balancing is all or none we would need a new component over the nodes.