DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Career

Oracle Career

Hi

I am just wondering how Oracle DBA is going to proceed in the near future when Oracle has already started with self tunned database! Is there still a market for Oracle DBA? If yes, mostly in which countries?

I've seen loads of answers to this sort of question on this and other forums. I guess it comes down to what you consider a DBAs role. If you think a DBA is present to create tables, size extents, manage memory allocations, manage rollback and extend datafiles then that role is certainly coming to an end. Those sort of task are either not necessary anymore or can be done by developers.

If on the other hand you think the DBA job involves helping developers and designers understand the best ways to use the technology, along with all the other day-to-day stuff that still remains, then I think that role will be around for some time to come.

In my own case, as well as the "traditional" DBA work I'm also involved in development and design decisions, performance tuning of bad application code, management of the application server layer etc. A few year ago this would never have been considered DBA territory. Now I believe it's standard for alot of people out there.

Why do I have time to do this? Because I don't spend all day worrying about rollback segments anymore

Cheers

Tim...
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

The DBA role is going away. Get out now while you can.
    Jeff Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by marist89
    Its talk like that that will get you on Mh. Hanky's hit list.

I don't see the position going away, but I do see it changing.
    Perhaps learning sysadmin skills would help a DBA stay employed.

Can you offer an alternative to us poor soon-to-be-jobless DBAs? Surely there must be a more exciting alternative than to learn sys admin skills... Talk about tedious Database Design is the way to go for me I think. I can see my future there more so than a "strictly DBA" role...
    Assistance is Futile...

Quote Originally Posted by waitecj
    Can you offer an alternative to us poor soon-to-be-jobless DBAs?
    Health Care is hot...
    Jeff Hunter

Hi

Thanks for all your comments! Tim has a very good view on what I am having doubts on

I believe that DBA will still exists, maybe not in big groups anymore... the market for DBA does not seems to be as hot as before. My main concern now is how to get employed and what are most companies looking for in a DBA besides the normal tasks. What are extra skills that a DBA should learn for added value?

Health Care is hot...
    Sounds like the wife will be getting paid more than me soon then... I might as well retire. I quite fancy being a kept man
    Assistance is Futile...

What kind of database topics are good for presentation?