DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information on migrating Oracle8i to Oracle9i

Information on migrating Oracle8i to Oracle9i

Hello guys!

I just got a new task: migrate some databases from Oracle8i to 9i at a customers site. "...and can you do that tomorrow?"

Now I'm downloading 9i version 2010 for Windows 2000 server.

My question is: I'm looking for links or docs that explain the pitfalls. I looked at some sites (dbasupport (offcourse!), otn, technet), but they all want to tell me about the new features. Duh! I already know them, but migration is new for me.
    Does anyone have some links/docs/guidelines?

And: I'm installing 9i on a new server, so I'll be exporting/importing the data - I guess... Or is it wiser to use the migration-tool?

Thanks in advance,
    Erik
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

Re: Information on migrating Oracle8i to Oracle9i

Originally posted by efrijters
    Or is it wiser to use the migration-tool?
    If you've never done it, the migration tool is the way to go.

I would exp/imp as a last resort. I would only use it if there is something really messed up with the database (block size, etc) and that's the ONLY way to fix it.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks!!

I saw some doc's on metalink. I'll read those this evening.

Found this link : http://www.cise.ufl.edu/help/databas...30/upgrade.htm

(I hope I still have a job after tomorrow )
    Last edited by efrijters; 01-07-2004 at 12:22 PM.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

Check out oracle metalink, there is 20/30 pages document which outlines the steps for migration if you don't have time to read migration guide for 9i.

Its pretty simple and straight forward (few steps)if you are not using Java compenents in the database, otherwise add few more steps.
    Reddy,Sam

Thanks, I already found Note : 214237.1 : "How to move an 8.1.7 database to another windows server and upgrade it to 9.2 without the need to install both oracle releases on the same server"

Wow! Now that's a title

It's probably the doc you mentioned!
    Last edited by efrijters; 01-07-2004 at 01:12 PM.

I have been through the process of Upgrading servers/databases from Oracle 8i to 9i. There are a couple of documents I found on Metalink that helped me through.The main thing was first upgrading the servers and then bringing up the database with a 'STARTUP MIGRATE' command. The migrate utility is quite straightforward and it did the rest. I did not have to do any exports/imports. Yes, just to be on the safer side I did a full cold backup of the database and also backed up the ORACLE_HOME directory, in case I needed to back out of the upgrade.
    Take a look at Note 159657.1 on Metalink.

All the best.

-Chintz

It must be easier to upgrade an existing server, but there are a lot of issues with multiple versions on a server...

I expect the new server to have different directory-structures, so some cloning will be in order...

It's going to be an interesting day (or two)...

Re: Re: Information on migrating Oracle8i to Oracle9i

Originally posted by marist89
    If you've never done it, the migration tool is the way to go.

I would exp/imp as a last resort. I would only use it if there is something really messed up with the database (block size, etc) and that's the ONLY way to fix it.
    I would use almost alawys exp/imp. That is the best ways to upgrade: create a cleam DB from sratch. But it is the more difficult way too :-)
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Re: Re: Re: Information on migrating Oracle8i to Oracle9i

Originally posted by julian
    I would use almost alawys exp/imp. That is the best ways to upgrade: create a cleam DB from sratch.
    And you almost always have (almost) unlimited time for the migration at your disposal? Also, I realy don't see how exp/imp can be considered the best way to upgrade because you create the new DB clean from scratch? The only point for that argument would be if your original database is physically totaly messed up, so you realy must reconfigure it totaly.

If the database you are upgrading isn't realy tiny or if you aren't also reconfiguring your DB profoundly (changing all tablespaces from DMTs to LMTs, for example), I would never recomend exp/imp for the upgrade. That's if you are upgrading on the same server (or at lest on the same platform on the new server), of course.
    Last edited by jmodic; 01-08-2004 at 04:06 PM.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

I went for the export/import-option. I hated it. Why? Because there was a difference with the National Character Set. You can only choose UTF8 and that UTF16etcetc in 9i and the 8i National Char. Set was different.
    The import stated that there could be a character conversion... could be...? It didn't report that conversion actually took place, so I'm a bit worried. But everything went okay and the applications worked fine.

The only strange thing was the listener. It wasn't present in W2K after the complete installation and configuration. I had to start it manually with TSNLSNR.EXE in the BIN-dir. I'll do some extra reading on the subject.

Oracle9i is very coool. Everything worked (e-mail via OEM, etc)