DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8.1.6.2.1 patch installation question (Sun)

Hi,

I am getting ready to upgrade our databases from 8.0.5.1 to 8.1.6 (Solaris 2.7). I will also be applying the 8.1.6.2.1 patch. The patch installation notes say "When migrating a db from an earlier release, ex 8.0 to 8.1, you must complete the database migration to the 8.1.6 release prior to applying the patch set. You cannot perform the 8.1.6 migration after a patch set has been installed". However, one of our development servers has 12 databases on it, and we can not take them all to 8.1.6.2.1 at the same time, we have to do a few at a time for testing purposes. So I had planned on installing 8.1.6, then applying the patch, then migrating the databases as needed. But the above instruction makes it sound as though I can't install the patch before migrating. I thought the patch would only effect the software and not the database structure?

My question: Can I migrate the databases by running the u0800050.sql AFTER the 8.1.6.2.1 is installed, or will there be problems?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Wink 8.1.6.2.1 patch installation question (Sun)

You need to migrate first and then apply the patch.

So you are saying I am going to have to migrate ALL 12 databases on that one server BEFORE applying the patch, even though I will be installing 8.1.6.2.1 in a different ORACLE_HOME directory? It seems there should be a way to only upgrade certain databases at a time regardless if they are on the same server. Does everybody else agree with mhaller? I was hoping perhaps the patch installation instructions were wrong or that I misunderstood them.

Thanks again!

[Edited by lake612 on 12-08-2000 at 10:49 AM]

It seems to me that you should be able to patch than migrate, especially if it's just an export/import, but you can never tell. I say open a TAR or contact Oracle support to make sure, they'll give you an official answer, and maybe the reasoning behind it.

Maybe there's a patch you can apply to the 8.0.5.1 database to allow you to migrate directly to 8.1.6.2.1.

The patch set 3 is available now. I don't see any limitaions being posed like that for set 2. I think you would be better off on applying the patchset 3. Also, I'm not sure whether the set 3 address the 248 days issue on solaris.

Sam