DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question regarding Oracle 10g listener

Question regarding Oracle 10g listener

Is it generally good practice to allocate one listener (one port) per database instance on an Oracle 10g Server ?
    Is there a maximum number of database instances that can listen on the same listener port ? Are there any guidelines to follow for this ?

Thanks for any advice on this ....

TTYL,
    Travis Weir

well in a perfect world only one database would live on one server.

A listener can handle many many databases, more important is the number of connections which are being opened to the database.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobfurley
    Is there a maximum number of database instances that can listen on the same listener port ? Are there any guidelines to follow for this ?
    The listener just establishes the connection. It can establish a big bunch of connections per second. I guess it depends alot on how many connections you plan to establish per second. Usually one listener on one port on one machine is sufficient for that machine.

You may want to use different ports/ip's to filter or balance your traffic through certain network cards.

I generally use the newest version on the server as the listener unless there are compatibility issues (ex: 8i & 10g)