How powerful is logminer
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How powerful is logminer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    433

    How powerful is logminer

    Someone told me that Logminer can 'read' those archivelog which from another oracle database.

    Is it true ?

    Appreciate to have your answer soon
    1. www.dbasupport.com
    2. www.dbforums.com
    3. www.itpub.net
    4. www.csdn.net
    5. www.umlchina.com
    6. www.tek-tips.com
    7. www.cnforyou.com
    8. fm365.federal.com.cn
    9. www.programmersheaven.com
    10.http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp
    ligang1000@hotmail.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    4,439
    Logminer is a tool and not something that runs from within a particular database. Your question is in the same line as if you've asked: "Can Sql*plus select from tables from another database too? Can exp export data from another database too? Can SQL*Loader load data into another database too?".

    None of those or other tools doesn't have their "own database", so what is the meaning of "another database" expression?

    If you've asked "Can log miner read archlogs from the database that doesn't run from the same ORACLE_HOME where logminer is installed or even from databases from other servers or even from databases that are not from the same release as logminer (databases that are lower, but not too low ), then the answer would be YES.

    Besides, all this can be read from the documentation, so you realy didn't have to wait for your answer so anxiously....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    335
    Now play nice Jmodic

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by jmodic
    Logminer is a tool and not something that runs from within a particular database. Your question is in the same line as if you've asked: "Can Sql*plus select from tables from another database too? Can exp export data from another database too? Can SQL*Loader load data into another database too?".

    None of those or other tools doesn't have their "own database", so what is the meaning of "another database" expression?

    If you've asked "Can log miner read archlogs from the database that doesn't run from the same ORACLE_HOME where logminer is installed or even from databases from other servers or even from databases that are not from the same release as logminer (databases that are lower, but not too low ), then the answer would be YES.

    Besides, all this can be read from the documentation, so you realy didn't have to wait for your answer so anxiously....



    what a blow

    anyway i know what the pain is :(

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    12

    logminer

    I just posted a new set of graphical tools to manage, monitor and tune the oracle database.
    One of the many functions is an interface (wizard) to Oracle logminer. It helps you set the parameters, define the criteria and view SQL statements. It is free and can be downloaded from http://www.odbtools.com/ (www.odbtools.com/download.htm). I will greatly appreciate any suggestions.

    Michel Bartov
    http://www.odbtools.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boracay
    Posts
    681
    Hi,

    I havent tried using logminer yet.
    Can logminer solve this problem in our systems Or is there a better alternative.
    Our problem is like this:
    We have a "blacklist" table where names of people not allowed to leave the country
    are entered. This is in connection with a filed case from a complainant. We have a
    counter officer (airport) that checks the blacklist tables everytime a passenger leaves
    the port. It happened sometimes that when an officer "hits" a blacklisted person, the
    persons tends to negotiate and offer some bribe, which in turn the officer accepts. Then when the complainant "complaints" why the person was able to leave the country, The officer will just deny that he found match in the database.
    So, can we list daily all the queries in the blacklist table that has "matched" by officer
    userid using the logminer? or we have to make utility programs to resolve this.

    Thanks a lot

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,333
    selects wont appear in log miner (as they normally dont generate any redo).

    Sounds like you need auditing, to record all queries logged against this table

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Chester, England.
    Posts
    818
    An immigration system that prevents people leaving a country - what a novel idea. I'm safe in assuming this isn't the UK or the USA then?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    New Delhi, INDIA
    Posts
    1,796
    Quote Originally Posted by yxez
    Hi,

    I havent tried using logminer yet.
    Can logminer solve this problem in our systems Or is there a better alternative.
    Our problem is like this:
    We have a "blacklist" table where names of people not allowed to leave the country
    are entered. This is in connection with a filed case from a complainant. We have a
    counter officer (airport) that checks the blacklist tables everytime a passenger leaves
    the port. It happened sometimes that when an officer "hits" a blacklisted person, the
    persons tends to negotiate and offer some bribe, which in turn the officer accepts. Then when the complainant "complaints" why the person was able to leave the country, The officer will just deny that he found match in the database.
    So, can we list daily all the queries in the blacklist table that has "matched" by officer
    userid using the logminer? or we have to make utility programs to resolve this.

    Thanks a lot
    If you are matching using names, then more than one person can have same name and some names are so common that you can meet 2-3 person of the same name in a day (at the airport). So what do you do? Detain every person having the blacklisted name?

    And every name matching will be doing a select.
    Last edited by adewri; 07-15-2005 at 08:46 AM.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

    Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boracay
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac
    An immigration system that prevents people leaving a country - what a novel idea. I'm safe in assuming this isn't the UK or the USA then?
    Jmac ...if u got crime in england and someone got warrant search for
    you...good thing in your country, u can just leave huh

    Well the search inlcude citizenship, date birth, alias, paasport, etc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width