DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Loaded Question

Loaded Question

I am a US Marine currently on the end leg of my career. Since I am in communcations and many of the Marines in my current unit are in the IT field in general, I have been searching for a niche when I retire. DBA is something that has grabbed my attention.

Most of my questions surround what other then the certifications are needed? Any other classes/certifications that would help me get a foot in the door and started in this career path. Anyone out there willing to lend an ear and assist to a soon to be retired Marine? I have plenty of war stories from 3 deployments to Iraq and numerous deployments to the far reaches of the globe that I am will to trade (just kidding about that one!).

Seriously, I guess I'm looking for something like a mentor to help me understand what I need to get done. Feel free to PM me and I will be more then happy to provide an email address.

Anyone interested or willing to answer a lot of questions? Is this the forum to ask something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by wagdog
    Anyone interested or willing to answer a lot of questions? Is this the forum to ask something like this?
    Sure, fire away. In general, you'd be best served by asking one question per thread and posting followups to that question in the same thread.
    Jeff Hunter

Welcome to dbasupport!

Here is some general info about Oracle DBA career in general (which is still mostly true a year later). It takes work and luck, but it can be done.

http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...le.php/3335581
    http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...le.php/3350951

Look around some other Web sites and get more opinions before spending your money on training, books, & computer equipment (a good home PC works for about 95% of everything Oracle does or can do). Look around Oracle's Web site too. Another consideration is starting off with .NET and SQL Server.