DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weekend database and server shutdown

Ok, I got a response from the Unix guys. Here is the response, just don't shoot the messanger.

The Unix servers are rebooted weekly in an effort to:

a.) Flush out memory.
    b.) Remove any zombie processes.
    c.) Maintain overall good performance and health of the system.
    I remember when this place was cool.

Well that's a load of cr*p.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hanky
    Ok, I got a response from the Unix guys. Here is the response, just don't shoot the messanger.

The Unix servers are rebooted weekly in an effort to:

a.) Flush out memory.
    b.) Remove any zombie processes.
    c.) Maintain overall good performance and health of the system.
    That must be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of (unless of course, we're talking Windoz, then it is a sound policy).

Jeff Hunter

Well, Im also thinking of saving electricity with our 4 air-con units running 24-hrs and the fact that they are old/dilapidated units which need to manually switch to fan state
    in a round-robin fashion just to make them rest during office hours. We have also experience power fluctuations most of the time during weekends. This made the aircon units suffer more and sometimes during mondays we saw the UPS for the servers drained and the servers rebooted as a signed of long time power interruptions.

Quote Originally Posted by yxez
    Well, Im also thinking of saving electricity with our 4 air-con units running 24-hrs and the fact that they are old/dilapidated units which need to manually switch to fan state
    in a round-robin fashion just to make them rest during office hours. We have also experience power fluctuations most of the time during weekends. This made the aircon units suffer more and sometimes during mondays we saw the UPS for the servers drained and the servers rebooted as a signed of long time power interruptions.
    If a thread could have Mad Cow, this is what it would look like... What the heck?
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

Quote Originally Posted by KenEwald
    If a thread could have Mad Cow, this is what it would look like... What the heck?
    I would venture to say that he was interjecting his concepts of why one would wish to shutdown during a weekend. IMHO, a definate candidate for management!