DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Physical DBA vs. Development DBA

How's the Phoenix humidity? I saw some fake-news propaganda piece the other day that rated it as the sweatiest city in the US (Colorado Springs was one or two away from being the least, but it's no thanks to my own contribution)
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarriorDBA
    I have 2000 hour as a commercial pilot/flight instructor.

The biggest problem in the heat of summer down there is the 'density altitude'. The air is so thin its like trying to take off at 20,000 feet. Put simply they run a calculation to avoid running out of runway.
    Is that what it was? I just thought it was too frickin hot to move anything!

Thanks for the technical explanation. I heard that they just changed the program to allow for the higher temp, but nothing else was changed.

Axr2 - dress sparingly! Bring sunblock. When you fly in, look for the flames. North Scottsdale's desert is burning. 18 square miles, and counting....

Quote Originally Posted by slimdave
    How's the Phoenix humidity? I saw some fake-news propaganda piece the other day that rated it as the sweatiest city in the US (Colorado Springs was one or two away from being the least, but it's no thanks to my own contribution)
    Humidity is usually Mid July through Mid sept. When the dew point hist 51 for 3 days, they call it the monsoon season. Nasty violent storms could happen. Right now, it is 'relatively' humid for here, about 48%, compared to the typical 25%. Some of that's getting affected by the smoke from the fires. http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ires23-ON.html

Sweatiest City - well, it's a dry heat. (HA). Usually the sweat evaporates before you notice, until it gets over 110, then you get drenched in sweat, just walking out the door.

Don't forget to bring your oven mit, so you can open the car door and grab the steering wheel ! I think it dropped into the 90's last night. http://www.azcentral.com/weather/

Quote Originally Posted by dbtoo
    Is that what it was? I just thought it was too frickin hot to move anything!

Thanks for the technical explanation. I heard that they just changed the program to allow for the higher temp, but nothing else was changed.

Axr2 - dress sparingly! Bring sunblock. When you fly in, look for the flames. North Scottsdale's desert is burning. 18 square miles, and counting....
    I have also heard the Exhaust Temp can get too high for the engines outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarriorDBA
    I have also heard the Exhaust Temp can get too high for the engines outlets.
    It's more a case of monitoring exhaust gas temperature to keep it within safe limits -- in doing so you may have to reduce maximum engine thrust, and when you combine that with lower lift (ie. more spedd required to get equivalent lift) you can obviously get to a point where you have to severely reduce cargo carrying capacity, or you require a take-off distance exceeding that available. (Here in the Springs one of the municipal runways is 13,500 ft -- Denver has a 16,000 footer -- London Heathrow tops out at 12,800)
    Last edited by slimdave; 06-23-2005 at 02:20 PM.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

As far as "less-sophisticated jobs [that] are eliminated by technology" goes, standing there measuring the temperatures from the exhaust of a jet engine probably got eliminated quite awhile ago.

"Hey Harry, take this here thermometer and hold it up behind that conical looking do-hickey, we need to know how hot it gets...! " (Here's your sign...)

Quote Originally Posted by slimdave
    It's more a case of monitoring exhaust gas temperature to keep it within safe limits -- in doing so you may have to reduce maximum engine thrust, and when you combine that with lower lift
    Yep nasty combo.

I was demonstrating soft field takeoff with an obstacle at the end with a student and decided to abort, drop the flaps and get the weight back on the wheels. Slid to a stop. No way were we going to clear the trees. I should have run the calculations, when the student said he was doing them the other day with another instructor it turned out to be 60 degrees cooler that day and more like months prior.

Damn..I used to live in North Scottsdale. Very pretty area.

Quote Originally Posted by Axr2
    Damn..I used to live in North Scottsdale. Very pretty area.
    The fire didn't come down quite into snotsdale, it was north of cave creek actually, if you remember the area. What brings you back into town?

The fire didn't come down quite into snotsdale, it was north of cave creek actually, if you remember the area. What brings you back into town?
    Just visiting family. Yeah I remember Cave Creek. Nice area..nice homes.
    Snotsdale..hehe.

PS : Sorry about digressing the thread into unrelated territory. I didn't start it though!