DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Table Access

Table Access

Hi,

I am using a common schema, which is used by team. (One user id and one pwd for every one in the team)

I have created few new table and I would like those tables to be accessible only by store procs. So that no user can directly update the tables.

Is it possible to do that? How ?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

How about creating the tables and procedures to access these tables in completely in new schema and then giving execute rights only on the procedures to your current schema (i.e. The one which is currently used the entire team) ?
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.

Good idea

Good idea, But the new tables are pupulated by store procs. The store procs takes data from the existing schema and loads into new tables.

If I create a new schema and then create new tables/proc into it. Will there be any problem in accessing tables from the new schema.

Thanks

I am not completely following it, if you can post complete case then we can know what your trying to achieve.

However you should give read access (Select rights) to the tables in your current schema that should be read by the new schema, and then code in the procedures to select from this read access table and insert into new table.

I hope I am not ambiguous.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.

I got your point. I think this will solve the issue. Thanks very much.

Thanks
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Bonker
    I am not completely following it, if you can post complete case then we can know what your trying to achieve.

However you should give read access (Select rights) to the tables in your current schema that should be read by the new schema, and then code in the procedures to select from this read access table and insert into new table.

I hope I am not ambiguous.