DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Time for upgrading to 9.2

Time for upgrading to 9.2

Hi,
    I have 7 production databases . One database is of 80 gigs and rest are 10 gigs. How much time do you think it would take to finish my upgradation of the database from 8.1.7.4 to 9.2.0.1. I am testing in test machine.

I Installed 9.2 on sun machine. I am using db upgrade assistance to upgrade to 9.2.
    It took for one small database 3 hours , then the downtime would be a lot. Is there any alternative solution for the downtime to be less when I do in real time production.

Any help what all should be done after finishing with dbua.

Thank you

Three hours for a 10GB database sounds pretty slow to me. Our whole upgrade process (including backup) usually takes about 2 hours.
    Jeff Hunter

Upgrading process stopped at 36 %. There are no errors yet. Its been 24hrs its still going on . Please let me know What could be the problem here.

I installed 9i on different Oracle Home. After logging to Oracal Os user, I changed my Oracle Home to 9i Oracle home and started the dbua.
    It ran 36%, stil at upgrading database. It do not move forward. Please help me solve this issue.

Thanks

What do the logs say?
    Jeff Hunter

@@initmeta.sql
    EXECUTE SYS.DBMS_METADATA_UTIL.LOAD_STYLESHEETS('/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/rdbms/xml/xsl');
    BEGIN SYS.DBMS_METADATA_UTIL.LOAD_STYLESHEETS('/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/rdbms/xml/xsl'); END;

ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: invalid LOB locator specified: ORA-22275
    ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_LOB", line 498
    ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA_UTIL", line 531
    ORA-00376: file 2 cannot be read at this time
    ORA-01111: name for data file 2 is unknown - rename to correct file
    ORA-01110: data file 2: '/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/dbs/MISSING00002'
    ORA-06512: at line 1

When restoring the database on test machine did not restore temp file.It created its own temp file. May be thats te error.

Little confused here.

You said you were doing the migration on a test instance on a seperate machine right?
    Is 8.1.7 installed there ?

if not then after copying the datafiles to the test machine did you do create control file before running the migration ?
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Yes it is installed. It worked for differnt database and it took 30 min. I guess when I restored the datafiles, I did not copy temp files for the one which did not work.
    When creating database with control file, It does not require the temp file. It creates its own temp file. When upgrading it was looking for the temp file where it cannot see.

My database name DB1, when I upgraded it created DB10 file under ORACLE_BASE/admin directory. Can I delete that directory. I guess it stores all updated log information. Is that directory used by 9i database.

Adding to above, Under that directory there are init files created by upgrade. Should I copy 9i init file to the original directory pfile/initfile?? I am getting lil confused after the upgradation what steps should be done.

Last edited by srt; 06-15-2005 at 11:32 AM.

I got an error

FAST_IO_START_TARGER parameter depricated

I ignored it, but would there be any performance issue or is there anything i could do regarding this ??

When creating database with control file, It does not require the temp file. It creates its own temp file. When upgrading it was looking for the temp file where it cannot see.
    If you have not copied the temp file then its not there. It will not create its own temp file. Had it created its own temp file then it would have known where the tempfile resides and not look for it in some other place.

My database name DB1, when I upgraded it created DB10 file under ORACLE_BASE/admin directory. Can I delete that directory. I guess it stores all updated log information. Is that directory used by 9i database.
    What ORACLE_BASE ? Is it Oracle9i BASE or Oracle8i Base ?

Adding to above, Under that directory there are init files created by upgrade. Should I copy 9i init file to the original directory pfile/initfile?? I am getting lil confused after the upgradation what steps should be done.
    After migration check for any invalid objects in the database. Validate them.

Make sure that the applications which are using the existing database are running on the new migrated database. If not then you need to make changes in the application to make them run.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!