DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RMAN Backups - Archive Logs

Red face RMAN Backups - Archive Logs

Hai Everybody.
    I have strange problem in RMAN backups. I'm taking weekly database full backups using RMAN. I did not take the Archive Logs backup fro about one month. When I found that the archive logs were growing fast, I deleted some of them. Now, After a months time when I'm taking backup of the 'Archive Logs' it requests me the earlier Archive Logs also. But, as I deleted them, I'm not able to provide the archivelogs. So, Ultimately, I'm not able to take backup of archivelogs, even using the 'from' syntax also. Is there any way to tell RMAN to stop asking about the earlier Archive Logs and just take the backup of existing Archive Logs.

Even, When I'm trying "backup database plus archivelogs", it fails now again asking the same earlier Archive Logs. The point is that I'm not interested in the earlier Archive Log files as I'm not interested in earlier backups too. Inspite of setting the 'Recovery Window' period to a 7 days, I'm not able to delete the obsolete archivelogs. As they were already deleted manually, It's just hanging and not doing anything. Please help me..

regards,
    Dileep T.V.R.

Hi

You deleted the archivelogs but RMAN is unaware of it so you basically need to make rman aware of this by running

RMAN>change archivelog all crosscheck;

I am typing the above command from the top of my head.Not sure though whether you need to allocate a maintainence channel for that.

After that you can run the RMAN backups.

regards
    Hrishy

Hi

In 9i i think its like

RMAN> crosscheck archivelog all

regards
    Hrishy

Hai Hrishy.
    Thsnks for your info. But, I want is there any way to tell RMAN not to ask for previous Archive Logs and just start taking the backup of the Archiving Logs that are required from now onwards.
    I mean when I say:

RMAN> backup database plus archivelogs;

It should just start taking the backup of the Archive Logs that are required to recover this backup. Do, I need to delete all the Archive Logs in my archive destinations, so that when I issue a statement to Cross Check, it will not find any Archive Logs and just start taking backup of the Archive Logs from now-on-wards.

regards,
    Dileep T.V.R.

What happened when you crosschecked?
    Jeff Hunter

did you try what he said?

crosscheck archive log all;
    delete obsolete;

bye bye obsolete ones so it wont ask to back them up

http://tahiti.oracle.com has this all written down nicely for you

Originally posted by tvrdileep
    Hai Hrishy.
    Thsnks for your info. But, I want is there any way to tell RMAN not to ask for previous Archive Logs and just start taking the backup of the Archiving Logs that are required from now onwards.
    I mean when I say:

RMAN> backup database plus archivelogs;

It should just start taking the backup of the Archive Logs that are required to recover this backup. Do, I need to delete all the Archive Logs in my archive destinations, so that when I issue a statement to Cross Check, it will not find any Archive Logs and just start taking backup of the Archive Logs from now-on-wards.

regards,
    Dileep T.V.R.

Hi Dileep

First run the crosscheck command.And you should also make a habit of making the backups on lines like

backup database puls archivelogs delete input.

lookup for the syntax in the manuals.That would solve your problem henceforth.But for now just run the croscheck command as suggested above.

regards
    Hrishy

Hai Hrishy.
    I did not yet run the command. I'll do it in few minutes and get back to you. But we are doing a load test now. So, I can't take backup now as it may affect the response times. I'll take backup afer 30 minutes. We have many databases. Also, I usually take the backups using:

RMAN> backup database plus archivelogs delete input;

But, it so happened that with one of our database, I did not take the backups in that way. So, the problem occured.

regards,
    Dileep T.V.R.

Hai Everybody.
    It worked.

RMAN> corsscheck archivelog all;
    RMAN>delete obsolete;

Thanks for your help.

regards,
    Dileep T.V.R.

Use This

type following

sql> crosscheck archivelog all